III

The five of you made your way to the spare room to investigate the wardrobe. You watched as Susan stepped inside of the wardrobe and knocked clearly on the back, Edmond doing the same behind the wardrobe.

"Lucy, the only wood in here is the back of the wardrobe." Susan told her sister.

"One game at a time, Lu. We don't all have your imagination." Peter added. You watched as the three of them headed for the door.

"But I wasn't imagining!" Lucy shouted.

"That's enough Lucy." Susan told her.

"I wouldn't lie about this." Lucy defended herself.

"I believe you." Edmund said stepping forward.

"You do?" Lucy asked.

"Yeah of course! Didn't I tell you about the football field in the bathroom cupboards?" He teased.

"Oh, will you just stop?" Peter responded. "You just have to make everything worse, don't you?"

"It was just a joke!" Edmund said.

"When are you going to learn to grow up?" Peter asked his brother.

"Shut up! You think your dad but you're not!" Edmund yelled. The four of you watched as he stormed out.

"Well that was nicely handled." Susan said sarcastically before walking out as well.

"But, it really was there." Lucy said.

"Susans right Lucy. That's enough." Peter said before walking out himself.

"I'm sorry Lucy, I really am." You said before following the others.

•••

"Peter, Peter! Wake up, wake up! It's there! It's really there!" You heard causing you and Susan to jump out of bed. The two of you made your way to the boys room.

"Lucy, what are you talking about?" Peter asked as the young girl had just woken him.

"It's all in the wardrobe like I told you!" She exclaimed.

"You've just been dreaming Lucy." Susan said.

"But I haven't! I saw Mr. Tumnus again! And this time Edmund went too." She cheered. The three of you turned your heads to Edmund.

"You saw the faun?" Peter asked. Edmund shook his head.

"Well, he didn't actually go there with me. What were you doing Edmund?" She asked.

"I was just playing along." Edmund said after a long pause. "I'm sorry Peter. I shouldn't have encouraged her, but you know what little children are like these days. They just, don't know when to stop pretending." Edmund said.

At this point Lucy was in tears. She then ran out of the room, Susan following, then Peter who had pushed a Edmund on his way out.

"Word of advice Edmund?" You said standing at the door way. "Stop and think before you go too far." You had then followed the others.

You, Peter, and Susan stopped and watched as Lucy stood hugging the professor.

"You children are one shenanigan shy of sleeping in the stable." Macready said before seeing the professor. "Professor. I'm sorry. I told them you were not to be disturbed."

"It's all right, Mrs. Macready. I'm sure there's an explanation." The professor said. "But first of all, I think this one is in need of a little hot chocolate."

"Come along dear." Macready said leading Lucy away. The three of you began to head back to your rooms when the professor stopped you in your tracks.

•••

"You seem to have upset the delicate internal balance of my housekeeper." The professor said as the three of you now joined him in his office/workspace.

"We're very sorry sir. It won't happen again." Peter said grabbing Susan's arm to leave.

"It's our sister, sir. Lucy." Susan said deciding to stay.

"I see. You're all siblings, yes?" He asked.

"I'm not. In fact, I don't think I should be here for this conversation. It seems to be more of a family matter." You go to leave but the professor stops you.

"Stay. You're just as much a part of this as anyone, my dear. So, your sister." He motioned both Peter and Susan. "The weeping girl."

"She's upset." Susan said.

"Hence the weeping." He said.

"It's nothing. We can handle it." Peter said causing tension between the two siblings.

"Oh, I can see that." He said sarcastically.

"Sir, Lucy thinks that she's found a magical land." You told him stepping forward. "In the upstairs wardrobe."

"What did you say?" He asked standing and making his way to you leading you to the sofa, Peter and Susan following.

"The wardrobe, upstairs." Peter repeated. "She thinks that she's found a magical forest inside."

"She won't stop going on about it." Susan added as the three of us now sat on the sofa.

"What was it like?" He asked intrigued.

"Like talking to a lunatic." Susan ranted.

"No, no, no, not your sister. The Forest." He corrected her.

"Wait, do you actually believe her?" You asked in shock.

"Don't you?" He asked back.

"But of course not. I mean logically it's not possible." Susan responded.

"What do they teach in schools these days?" The professor sighed to himself.

"Edmund said they were only pretending." Peter added.

"He's the more truthful one is he?" He asked.

"This would be the first time." Peter admitted.

"Well, if she's not mad and she's not lying, then logically we must assume she's telling the truth." He said before lighting his pipe.

"You're saying we should just believe her?" Peter asked.

"She's your sister, isn't she? You're her family." He said. "You might just try acting like one."