VII

As you stood watching Edmund, who was now entering the castle, you heard a howl. You made eye contact with Peter and Susan before looking back at the castle. A pack of wolves then ran out of the castle gates right into your direction.

You looked at Mr. beaver who then yelled, "Run!".

"Hurry, mother! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver told his wife as you all entered the dam once more.

"Oh, right then." She said standing in the kitchen. She scrambled to put a few things together.

"What's she doing?" Peter asked in panic.

"You'll be thanking me later." She said. "It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry."

"I'm cranky now!" Beaver yelled.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asked helping Mrs. Beaver.

"Only of the witch serves toast!" Peter exclaimed sarcastically.

"You guys!" You said looking around after hearing barking from outside. You looked up to see digging from the ceiling. "They're here."

•••

"Badger and me dug this." Beaver said as you all were now running through an underground tunnel. "It comes out right near his place."

"You told me it led to your moms." Mrs. Beaver said.

You were in the very back terrified that they'd catch up any moment. "Lucy!" You and Susan said as the young girl tripped on a root.

"If mum could see me now." You said.

You then looked up as you heard howling nearby. "They're in the tunnel." Lucy whispered.

"Quick! This way!" Beaver said leading you to the exit.

"Run!" Peter said to the three of you in the back.

The group had then came to a dead end, Beaver panicking.

"You should have brought a map!" Mrs. Beaver scolded him.

"There wasn't room next to the Jam!" He retorted.

You all turned around and searched for the exit, Peter now in the back. You then found the opening and all climbed out.

Peter and Beaver blocked the exit with a barrel. "Ow!" Lucy shouted as she tripped over something. Everyone looked closer and realized it was an animal... a stone animal?

You all walked on around the corner to find Beavers friend, Badger, also stoned over.

"I'm so sorry dear." Mrs. Beaver comforted her husband.

"He was my best mate." Beaver sighed.

"What happened here?" You asked in a soft tone as you walked over to a group of stone animals.

"This is what becomes of those who cross the witch." A fox said out of the blue.

"You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!" Beaver warned.

"Relax, I'm one of the good guys." He said.

"Yeah, well you looking awful lot like one of the bad ones." Beaver said.

"An unfortunate family resemblance." He retorted. "But we can argue breeding later. Right now we've got to move." Barking began to approach.

"What did you have in mind?" Peter asked

You all then climbed a tree to hide from the wolves. After everyone was high enough to not be seen you watched as the pack approached the fox.

"Greetings, gents." He said as they surrounded him. "Lost Something have we?"

"Don't patronize me." One of the wolves said, probably being the leader. "I know where your allegiance lies. We're looking for some humans."

The fox chuckles. "Humans? Here in Narnia? Not that's a valuable bit of information, don't you think?" He then whines as the wolf attacks him. Peter had to hold Lucy's mouth shut as she began to whine. You put a hand over your pen to quiet your breathing.

"Your reward is your life." The leader said as another wolf held the fox in their mouth. "It's not much, but still. Where are the fugitives?"

There was a long pause before the fox pretended to give in. "North." He said sounding defeated. "They ran North."

"Smell them out." The leader told the pack before running, the rest following. The one holding the fox then threw him before joining the others.

•••

You were all now gathered around a fire pit as it had gotten pretty dark.

"They were helping Tumnus, the witch got here before I did." The fox explained. "Ow!" He grunted.

"Are You Alright?" Lucy asked him as he was in a lot of pain.

"Well, I wish I could say the bark was worse than their bite." He joked. "Ow!"

"Well stop squirming." Mrs. Beaver said as she was helping him with the wounds. "You're worse than Beaver on bath day."

"Worse day of the year." Beaver side noted. You all let out small chuckles.

"Thank you for your kindness, but I'm afraid that's all the cure I have time for." He said standing.

"You're leaving?" You asked.

"It has been a pleasure, my Queen, and an honour, but time is short and Aslan himself had asked me to gather more troops." He said bowing.

"You've seen Aslan?" "What's he like?" The beavers asked shocked.

"Like everything we've ever heard. You'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the witch." He said.

"But were not planning to fight any witch." Susan said.

"But surely, king Peter, the prophecy!" He said.

"We can't go to war without you..." Beaver added.

"We just want Edmund back." Peter said.