8 Space

The sun is shining; it's warm with a gentle breeze, a perfect day for the market. I smile, walking up to Trish and Jude. "Hey guys, how's it going so far?"

"So good news. We'll be sold out soon. I'm just waiting for the rez to pick up," Trish says happily while Jude rolls his eyes.

"Oh speaking of that, do you have extra red pepper jelly? Chris asked for a case to be sent with the rest of their order." Her face lights up as she makes herself busy, boxing up the new addition.

"So all buddy-buddy now?" Jude asks. He leans back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest as his frown turns into a scowl. I know he doesn't have warm fuzzy feelings for them but this is pretty openly hostile for him.

"I don't know about buddy-buddy," I say with air quotes, "but not openly hostile. He came over to pick up Ethan Wednesday night and stayed for dinner. He apologized for being an ass that day, thanked me for dinner and taking care of Ethan."

All I get in return is a curt nod as Jude scans the parking lot.

He softens and looks at me with concern. "Just be careful with him. He's not someone to mess with, okay?"

I nod. I don't plan to spend much, if any, time with him.

The rez's dark SUV pulls up with a full complement; Jace is driving with Grandmother riding shotgun, leaving Xavier and Chris to step out of the back. As they make their way over, I can't help but notice the looks they are giving Jude. I expect that from Chris and Xavier, but even happy-go-lucky Jace is staring Jude down.

Jude shifts uncomfortably but stands his ground instead of going to his booth like usual. I raise a brow and frown, looking from the guys to Jude.

"Stop scowling at the boy like some junkyard dog, Christopher!" Grandmother chirps, lightly backhanding Chris in the chest. All three guys grumble but back off, knowing better than to upset her.

I can't help the little giggle that slips out at the guy's defeat at the hands of the old lady a third their size. Grandmother checks her order and then heads over to some other booths. Chris and Xavier head back to the SUV with their boxes, while Jace lags.

Mischief dances in his stormy eyes as he watches me. "Now I know you're magic," he whispers.

"Hmm?"

"One dinner with you and he's chilled right back out." Jace nods towards Chris as he loads the SUV, looking completely at ease. "What exactly did you guys get up to?" He wiggles his brows with a knowing grin spreading on his lips.

My face burns at his insinuation. "Shut it! We just talked and had some food. The same thing I would have done with you, but you blindsided me." I glare at him, making his grin falter. "Thanks for that, by the way"

He rubs the back of his neck. "Yeah, sorry about that. I couldn't exactly go against him. He was standing right there when you called and he looked pissed. I don't even know why he wanted to go, but magically he comes back completely mellowed out." That annoying smirk is right back in place.

The thought of even kissing such an intimidating man makes me shudder, and yet... I blush and bite my lip.

"I'm telling you nothing happened! He actually thought you and I had something going on."

Jace's grin grows impossibly wide. He's enjoying this far too much.

I roll my eyes at his delight. "Once I cleared that up, he seemed to chill out some."

"You mean you don't love me?" he asks, eyes wide as he brings the back of his hand to his forehead. His theatrics are louder than I'd like and has Trish's full attention, as well as half the market. "So that time we went skinny dipping in the lake, you were just using me for my body!? And to think I trusted you!"