48 Gamma

"Where is he?" I scream at Sara.

Her gaze falls. "I'm sorry, Luna. They left early."

Her address sends an icy shiver down my spine. Never once has she called me that. Why is she here? She's supposed to be with him.

"Don't call me that!" I hiss. "Why aren't you with them?" None of this adds up. My emotions and mind are reeling a mile a minute, threatening to spin out of control.

"He needed me to protect you," she replies with a frown. "We've sent too much of the force on the offence. Pack defence is on bare-bones minimum... if something goes wrong." What she leaves left unsaid leaves a pit in my stomach.

"What aren't you telling me?" I whisper.

She chews her bottom lip for a moment. "He's worried. I've fought alongside him many times. He's never been like this before."

I'm too late. "He's going to be betrayed," I whisper. I drop to my knees, feeling utterly defeated. "I had a dream that wasn't my own, like someone was trying to warn me. A charcoal wolf comes in from behind and kills him."

"Fuck," she hisses. Her gaze loses focus as she gets that faraway look in her eyes when they mind link. "I can't get through," she growls as she starts to pace.

Sara freezes before rushing over to pick me up off the floor. Her face hides nothing.

"What is it!?"

"Jude's coming." My heart leaps at my lost friend's name before dropping like a stone. Her tone is a warning.

"He's already cut his way through the outer patrols. He'll be here in less than a minute." Her gaze flickers from me to the front door and I can see her mind racing as her features harden.

I turn back to Chris's room, grabbing two of the silver daggers. Raised voices and a crash at the front door draw my attention back to the entrance.

"Fuck, Nate, stand down! I need to talk to Chris!" Jude radiates power and authority, trying to force Nate to submit as he glares at him.

"He's not here," Sara cuts in. There's a dangerous edge to her voice, warning him to tread carefully.

"Sara! Tell them to back off." Jude locks his crystal blue gaze on hers, silently pleading for her to listen.

"You've been banned, Jude, Chris-"

"We don't have fucking time for this-" Jude's gaze flicks to mine as he realizes I'm here.

Sara takes the moment of distraction to shift mid-lunge, tackling him out the door. I race down the stairs and onto the front lawn to see Jude wrestling Sara's wolf.

'He's not hurting her. He's trying to pin her without injury!' He feels like he always does, a boy scout.

Nate and another warrior have regained their feet and are about to jump in when I step in, blocking their path.

"Wait!" All eyes snap to me. The warriors freeze and nod as Sara and Jude stop their struggle. He sets her down, and she positions herself between us.

"Where were you?" I ask lowly. My hands tremble as adrenaline courses through my veins. I look him over and scan the scene for any clues to make sense of what is going on. All I see is the same man I've come to know. His desperate gaze locked on mine, begging me to side with him.

"I was out looking for you, but I found out something I wasn't supposed to. Ended up locked up, finally managed to break out last night and came straight here to warn Chris. He's being set up. Rob is behind it all!" Jude looks past us to the house and shifts uneasily. "Where is he?"