49 Come Back to Me

Chris POV

Blood spraying across my face brings me back to the moment. Rob's face contorts in confusion and rage as he staggers back, looking at the silver arrow poking through his chest.

*Thwack*

Another arrow takes Rob's third, dropping him and freeing my brother. My eyes search the ridge, but I only catch a brief glimpse of her before a mousey grey wolf tackles her.

Searing pain is followed by relief as Derek removes the knife before slamming it into Rob's beta, dropping him instantly.

"The ridge! We have to stop them from flooding the ridge!" I shout, pulling the knife from his back.

Howls echo around us as a new wave of wolves breaks into the fight. I spot Eric's massive brown wolf as they dive into the thick of things. The fresh wolves ruthlessly cut down the rogues.

I look up to the ridge again and spot Jess as an armed man closes in on her. They're overrun. Jude and Sara are fighting desperately to hold back the tide, but losing ground. With a flick of her wrist, Jess ends the man, and he falls away as she tries to help the defenders.

Jude is failing. If he falters, she's alone. I can't get up there in time. He has always been there for her, protecting her when I couldn't. Hell, he's even stood against me when he thought I was out of line. The realization hits hard.

"Get up Gamma and do your fucking job!" I roar, eyes locked on his. With renewed resolve, he shakes off his attacker, pulling back into position.

More wolves close in on us. I have to trust Jude to do his job so I can do mine. Rob's head warrior beelines for me, shifting in front of me before baring his neck in submission. I'm caught off guard, but don't have time to consider it further as he takes out the closest rogue.

As the fighting winds down, Jess and the others make their way to us. My heart leaps at the sight of her.

"Why are you here? You're supposed to be safe at home," I say, glaring at Sara. I can't hide my concern as I look her over. She's covered in blood and dirt, but I don't see any serious wounds.

"It's not mine. Don't blame Sara. I told her I was coming, so she did what you told her to and protected me," she defends. I can't exactly be mad. If it wasn't for their arrival, we'd be dead now.

I can't take my eyes off of her, but something gnaws at me. "How did you know?"

Jess pulls back slightly, looking at the silver wolf to her right. "Jude showed up right after you left, warning that Rob was behind it all. He was only able to break out after the reserve rogue force left to join the battle."

Guilt hits me as I think of our last exchange when I thought he sold her out. Even after that, he hunted for her solo, got captured, and still came back to warn us.

"I owe you an apology," I grumble. "Shift."

Jude is a different man than the one who petitioned me in the spring with a chip on his shoulder. He stands, victorious yet humble, keeping his gaze respectfully lowered. He looks like hell—numerous bites and slashes coat his regularly pale skin in blood.

"Gamma Jude, it's long past time for this to be official. If I wasn't so hard-headed, we could have moved past this long ago." He has been her Gamma since day one; I was just too insecure to see their relationship for what it really was.

Derek offers me a knife, catching onto my train of thought. I eye the blade, then shift my gaze, looking at the man in front of me in a new light. "Do you accept?" I ask, eyes locked with his.