16 Watch it Little One

Chris POV

Half way through patrol, Jace links, letting me know they are here. Cyrus nearly takes over control to turn back, but I push him on. Another half hour and we're back; nothing's out of place and all regular patrols are beefed up. There's no excuse for what happened last time Jess was here and there will not be a repeat, least of all tonight.

As we close in on the pack house, I hear her laugh, drawing my attention. Her brown hair shines in the sun as she throws her head back in laughter. The entire group is laughing at something Jace said or did. She looks so open and carefree.

She's never like that around me

"You go ahead," I say, stalling. "I'm gonna grab a quick shower."

Sara flashes me a skeptical look as she turns to head out.

"Don't have a repeat of breakfast," I warn. "You will remember your place, warrior."

I let the threat hang in the air. She may be hot headed and have strong opinions on the matter, but she will not challenge her Alpha over his mate again tonight. She considers my words before nodding sharply and leaves.

-----

A short time later, I shower, change, and make my way out. I have no idea what I'm going to say to her. Lord knows our last words were not on the best of terms.

'You threatened her again,' Cyrus interjects. 'She is stronger than you give her credit for. She won't just bow down every time you demand it.'

'She pushes every button in my being. I just can't seem to control myself,' I complain. 'Sometimes I can see it in her eyes when she's doing it on purpose.' She gets her back up for no reason and will refuse even the most common sense requests.

'And what have you asked of her?' he chides. 'I clearly remember demands and orders, but that won't work with her.'

'Clearly,' I grumble.

'You should just let me handle our mate, you just keep messing up,' Cyrus challenges.

'Right,' I scoff. 'You'll just mark and claim her before she knows what's going on.'

He fills my mind with flashes of images to prove his point, starting with the night at the club when my lips were on the sweet spot of her neck, her scent intoxicating. He shows me a glimpse of our fangs biting deep. I stagger, no longer able to keep up my pace, feeling this distracted.

Pleased with the results of his effort, he steps it up a notch. The next flash is when she was laying in my bed. The blankets were kicked off, exposing her black lace underwear. I groan at the effect of the imagery as it produces a tightening in my jeans. I shake my head, trying to clear my mind, but Cyrus isn't done yet. His final flash is of her naked in my bed. I can't help the involuntary breath I suck in through clenched teeth. Her curvaceous body is writhing under mine, her head is tossed back, and her back arches, pressing her ample breasts against my chest.

'Enough!' In five minutes, he manages to shatter what little progress I had made in reeling in my emotions by running patrols. Cyrus is quite pleased with himself and howling in victory.

The stupid animal sees only black and white. He thinks he just needs to declare our mate and claim her and she will submit to us.

Clearly, he hasn't paid close enough attention to the times I have tried to make my intentions known to her. They all have one thing in common; she runs away.

I need to get through to her, but am not sure how. Her body responds perfectly, so I know she feels the bond, but something's standing in the way.

Is it her heart or head? How do you find out when she won't let anyone in?