Chapter Seventeen

The weeks until baby's arrival only neared and it hit April immensely. Her child was almost going to draw their first breath. The world slowly began piecing itself back together again. And as the due date grew closer, so did Rogers stress levels and paranoia. April enjoyed the alone time she had while he worked because once he got home, she wouldn't be able to pry him off her.

She was loving all the attention and loved the feeling of life growing inside her. The couple decided to keep the baby's gender a secret which kept everyone on edge. Roger pushed for a boy first, referring to baby as his "son". April would mock him saying that their daughter was going to be amazing. April didn't mind what she was having as long as her child knew they were loved.

April spent her alone time keeping busy. She would go on walks, attended yoga classes and kept a pregnancy diary. She also took it upon herself to redecorate Rogers house so it was more suitable for her and baby. They conjured up a nursery inside the spare room closest to their room. The room was filled with multiple toys and a large baby cot. April made Roger stick glow in the dark stars on the roof to compliment the room and give their baby a nice view to fall asleep too.

She also turned another one of his spare rooms into her study. Where inside was a comfort zone, a giant egg chair, beanbags and a bookshelf filled with books. She questioned why Roger had so many spare rooms, which he replied with a "for the hundred kids we'll make" along with a cheeky grin.

April and uni got along great which made it amazing for her to finish her last two months of uni at home, online. April heard the front door open and peered at the clock, Roger was home.

Like clockwork whenever he got home, he'd find April reading a book on the bed. Roger took off his shoes and climb into bed, cuddling his child whilst April continued to read. Roger was just a giant child sometimes. By the time April finished reading her chapter and set the book down, she saw Roger sleeping peacefully with an arm wrapped around her stomach.

"Let me make you something to eat" April tried to leave his grip but this made Roger grip on tighter.

"I wanna cuddle"

April smiled at how much of a softy she could get her man to be. She agreed and relaxed into his embrace. April was so excited for her little bubba to come to life and open up the next chapter in both her & Rogers life.

"Babe" April started shaking Roger trying to get him to wake up. April continued to wake up the guy but obviously not even an earthquake would wake him.

"Huh?" He mumbled with his eyes still closed.

"My water broke" April screamed which made Roger shoot up and rush all over the house. April had warned Roger to prepare since the moment they entered the third trimester because anything could have happened and she didn't want to waste time packing. April walked over to her closet and grabbed out her bag as well as baby's bag whilst Roger ran around the house.

On the way to the hospital, he continued to rush whilst driving responsibility at the same time. Rogers whining and looking only made Aprils head spin as they drove to the hospital which made April yell at him to be quiet. She continued to focus on her breathing. The ambulance met up with them halfway.

Once April disappeared into the ambulance, Roger finally let himself breath. He dialled Sefa's number and from there, the whole clan was soon on their way to the hospital. Everyone crowded over the waiting area as they all impatiently waited for news.

Roger would not stop praying. They still had six weeks left until the due date so he prayed that his woman and his child were going to be okay. He continued to pace up and down the hallway, struggling to stay still.

"Take a seat toko, she'll be okay" Roman urged Roger to take a seat.

"Tell me about when Lijah was born. How did you feel?" Roger placed his head in his hands.

"I was scared. I had no idea what kind of life was ahead of me in fatherhood but it was the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's amazing" Roman rubbed his shoulder. It was nearing 8 pm which meant most of the clan had to go home. Christian pushed Roger to go home long enough to shower before returning to the hospital.

_______________________________

11.34pm Tuesday 16th of June 2020

Roger cried holding his daughter for the first time. She was only the size of his palm yet she had already stolen his heart. April and Roger could only share a few moments with their daughter before she was taken away. The midwives explained that their daughter would need to spend the next six weeks in an incubator to make sure she's okay. Roger cried more than April which made her laugh.

"Good job Pepe" He kissed her forehead.

"What's her name?" The midwife asked holding their daughter.

Truth be told they hadn't had much thought of baby names.

"I got it" Roger smirked staring at April while she narrowed her eyes at him.

"Leilana Rosemary Afoa" Roger used his arms to emphasize the decent name he threw out.

"I actually like it. It's nice to meet you Leilana" April waved at her daughter as she was being taken out of the room. April allowed herself to collapse in Rogers hold, saying he was so lucky he would never know the pain of giving birth.

____________________

The two would visit their daughter every day without fail, like clockwork. Leilana was slowly growing into a beautiful and strong baby. Roger spent his days being teased by April for being so confident in their child being a girl. Despite that, Roger felt himself becoming soft with the birth of his daughter yet found no regret in the truth.

By the time Leilana was finally allowed home, April had decorated the nursery to the best of her ability to welcome her daughter. Rather than pink, April chose the primary colour of the room to be purple. And April enjoyed motherhood as much as she enjoyed reading.

"We made a beautiful baby" Roger could not stop smiling at his daughter. April made a smart remark about the many boys that their daughter would undoubtedly attract when she comes of age.

Leilana grew more fond of Roger which made April jealous. It was near impossible to take Leilana away from her dad sometimes but April didn't mind it. Roger knew how important it was to give April alone time to tend to her mental needs without having to worry over their daughter.

"Okay mamas had enough alone time let's go annoy her" April heard her other half's annoying voice as he entered her study. April groaned tucking herself underneath the blanket.

"Stop it I miss you" Roger pouted which made Leilana do the same. She was the cheekiest newborn that April had ever encountered, obviously a trait of her fathers.

"You both are evil" April shook her head, closing her book and putting it away.

"You love us" Roger smiled kissing April.

Fatherhood had definitely made this guy turn soft.