A new day-Priyanka

The past hour may have been the most ridiculous in her life. 

After helping Dr. Singh deliver the twins, she went down to the Grover's apartment to grab her already prepared hospital bag, Mr. Grover's phone number, and a few framed photos she thought Jaya might like to have. Who knew how long the elusive Mr. Grover would be gone and it seemed like a good idea to bring some friendly faces for Jaya to look at. Next, she went to Mrs. Reddy apartment to drop off a few things for her while she spent the night with Daada. 

After the elevator doors had closed, they had decided it was best if she stayed with Mrs. Grover until Mr. Grover arrived and so Mrs. Reddy graciously offered to stay up with Daada until she returned. She lived in an apartment with her younger sister, who was apparently away in Goa for a girls trip right now. 

She grabbed the night stuff she could find and ran up stairs to get Daada to bed. In 10 minutes she was out the door and received a reply to her message from Dr. Singh:

We are  at my hospital, St. Michaels General Hospital, in the post-natal care ward. Mrs. Grover and the babies are being assessed. Room 35H. The nurses at the front are expecting you.

It was curt and informational. 

After everything that happened in the last hour the man still had a tough exterior to crack. She called Mr. Grover in the cab on my way to the hospital and left a message with his secretary. Why his supposed secretary picked up his personal cell phone at this time of night wasn't something she wanted to think about. 

Rushing into the hospital, heavy bags in both arms she knew she must have been a sight to see for the nurses working. If they were working this late she guessed they deserve some entertainment. They pointed her in the right direction and she waddled towards the maternity room. 

"Need a hand" a deep voice from behind her asked. Obviously, it was Dr. Singh and if she wasn't mistaken, she swore he was trying to keep from laughing. 

"well, are you going to just stand there or take a bag" she said pointedly. He easily took the heaviest of the three bags in his arm led her to the room that Mrs. Grover was staying in. 

When they walked in, they found it empty. 

" where is she? and the babies?" she asked looking around. 

"A nurse took the babies to be fed since she's not up for it right now and another nurse is running some blood tests on Mrs.Grover". 

She put the two bags down and opened Jaya's to take out the photo frames she had taken from her apartment. 

"you didn't ask for anything" she said trying to fill the silence "but i figured you might be hungry so I brought the leftover bolognese and some chip bags incase". 

"is that why, it took you so long?" he said incredulously "I've been waiting to leave for an hour and you were just taking your time to get here".

"no one forced you to stay" she said but immediately followed it up "but I'm glad you did".

And truthfully she was, when she had forcefully entered his apartment for the second time, and saw things she hoped to forget soon, she really hadn't been sure he would help. But she knew if she didn't ask with the option so close, it would be just as much her fault if something bad happened. 

"thank you for what you did, I'm sure this is not how you saw your evening going" she said cursing herself for bringing up the awkwardness of the moment earlier in the night. She fought hard to keep her blush down but judging by his smirk, she wasn't having much success. 

THey sat there in silence waiting for Jaya to return. She could have told him to return home but even though he wasn't the best company he was better than nothing. She looked behind her to make sure no one was approaching and turned back to him.

"I called Mr. Grover while I was on the way here" he looked at her disinterested but she continued."All his numbers were on the fridge and I called all of them but there was no response except when I called his personal cell phone". She took a breath and looked away from him, as she attempted to convey her questions without saying them aloud. 

"His secretary picked up and told me he was busy. She told me there was no point in trying to reach him until tomorrow morning" she said finally turning back to him. His face was still expressionless but his whole body was deadly calm with what seemed like anger on Jaya's behalf. 

"What should I tell her? I don't want to put my head into anything that's obviously not my business but how am I supposed to tell her husband isn't coming on the one night she needs him?"

He was still silent. She was afraid he was going to lash out and began to regret sharing the information with him when two nurses rolled the twins back into the room. They looked at Dr.Singh and spoke directly to him.

"They're all healthy and ready for bed, we just brought them so the mother could say good night. They're going to be under supervision tonight, just as a precaution". He nodded at them and they left right as Jaya was being rolled back in a wheelchair.

"Oh what perfect timing! Pri, you're finally here and right on time to see the babies!" The nurse helped her get into the bed and as she was about to hand one of the babies to her, Jaya stopped her and motioned her to give both Dr.Singh and herself the babies. They each held one of the babies in their hands, the tag notified her that she was holding the younger of the two. Jaya looked up at her expectantly as the nurse stepped aside to read some charts and she knew what was coming. 

"were you able to reach Sameer? is he on his way?" 

Pri swallowed and her mind was completely blank for a response. She felt Dr. Singh's eyes on her as well, clearly curious as to how she would handle the situation and offering no help.

"no" she answered hurriedly, avoiding both of their eyes. She continued choosing her words carefully" I tried all of his numbers but wasn't able to speak to him. I left messages though and I'll try again soon". 

Jaya nodded with acceptance but her disappointment was so clear. Pri wanted to give her a hug and make all her worries vanish.

"Well in that case" Jaya said firmly "I guess he has only himself to blame for not getting any input. I've decided on their names" 

"that's wonderful!" she said, grateful for the change in topic, as Dr.Singh remained quiet looking strangely at the child in his hand "what have you decided on?"

She smiled joyfully at the both of us and used her hands gesture to the respective babies. 

"Priyanka, Dr.Singh. I'd like to formally introduce the both of you to Kabir and Rajan".