New Friends-Kabir

He  watched Dr. Patel and Priyanka leave the room together and turned to find Jaya smiling sympathetically at me. 

"Are you ok with Dr. Patel asking Priyanka out?" she asked curiously like a younger sister trying to learn more about the older brother she adored. And thats, exactly what their relationship had started to become in the week he had known her. He treated her like he treated his younger brother, Karan. 

They were both so naive, thought the world could be good and that love conquered all. It's why he, like Priyanka, felt such a strong urge to protect this young girl who had turned them for help. She was only 24, a year older than her younger brother, it pissed him off that her 10 years senior husband could not find the time to take care of her. 

No one knew the truth, buts he was beginning to think that Jaya was suspicious he had played a role in getting her loser of husband here the first night. She was right. He made some calls and as it turns out having the cops raid Mr. Grover's loveshack to inform him his wife had given birth had done the trick. 

"Why wouldn't I be ok with it?"

"I don't know, I just didn't know what the relationship between the two of you was. You never spoke to anyone in the building before she arrived, so I figured she must be important".

"Well, that wasn't by choice, in case you hadn't noticed she seems to push herself onto people. She creeps up on you without you ever noticing. But to answer your question I'm completely fine with it, we're neighbours and that is it" he said not wanting to expand further "how did you know he was going to ask her out?"

He was genuinely curious, he only knew because the Dr.Patel had asked him whether she was seeing anyone. He told him the truth, he didn't know- all he knew was that she had just moved here from Delhi and was living with her Daada. The answer seemed to please the doctor enough and he informed him of his plans to ask her out. Had he asked Jaya too? 

"Everyone here knows! Look at the way he looks at her, even the nurses are talking about it. They all have bets on what might happen and have been teasing Priyanka for the past few days. Her reactions are so cute and he seems like a good guy".

She said the last bit a little solemnly and he knew we were both thinking that her husband was not a good guy. 

"Why are you with your husband" he asked her probably a little too blunt but she just laughed in response. 

"It's not the money if that's what your thinking. He didn't have a penny when we met and was in debt when we got married. I fell in love with him and thought I saw a future together for the both of us. Everything else came after, I guess it was more than either of us was prepared for".

"He loves me too. Or at least he did at some point. We were inseparable without each other and breathed for one another. But as time went on, we both stopped growing together and weren't able to do anything about it because we never realized. We went from spending every second together to dreading spending time together. It wasn't just his fault, I also stopped paying as much attention and putting in the effort. But then again, I also never cheated so I guess there is some blame to be spread". 

Her eyes began to well with tears and he had no idea what to do. Where was Priyanka!  This was her territory, it seemed like she always knew what to do in these situations. But she was nowhere to be found, clearly still talking it up with Dr. Patel. He passed her tissue and patted her head as she tried to wipe up the tears that wouldn't stop flowing from her eyes. 

It was at that exact moment Priyanka walked in. Whatever funny thing she had been planning on saying was thrown out the door as she worriedly took in the scene in front of her. Without saying word, she walked to the opposite side of the bed, sat down and hugged Jaya tightly. The tears the girl had been trying to control previously came loose and there was no restraint this time.