flashback

"Keefe.. why are you here this late?"

She had just gone outside to get a little fresh air- and possibly some baby alicorn snuggles -when she spotted a familiar blonde-haired elf standing by Calla's panakes tree, holding up.. was that a crystal?

It had been barely a week before the Neverseen's latest- and by far most devastating -attack.

"I.. um... just enjoying the fresh air," Keefe said, a moment too quickly. His ice blue eyes looked panicked in the darkness of the night.

"Why not the fresh air at your house?" Sophie pressed, pinning a strand of blonde hair beneath her ear. The wind whipped her gown sideways as she added, "Just came here as to not deprive me of my Lord Hunkyhair time?"

Keefe didn't even smile at the joke.

"Something wrong?" Sophie asked gently, tugging on his hand as she sank into the soft grass.  "You don't have to tell me, if something's bothering you..."

For a minute he looked like he wanted to curl up beside her and cuddle for the rest of eternity.  But his ice blue eyes turned both heartbreaking and heartbroken as he stood up slowly, raising a small crystal up to the darkness.

"I can't pretend I'm who you want me to be anymore."

"Wait, Keefe-" Sophie scrambled to her feet, but he was already fading away.

And the only clue to explain where he'd gone was the very symbol engraved on the sleeve of his dark cloak.

The white Neverseen eye.

That was the last time Sophie had seen him for four years.