forty

Sophie didn't want to do anything but curl up into a ball and cry into her knees until she drowned.

She loved him.

But it had taken so long for her to realize that.

And now... now that Keefe was dead... he'd probably died thinking that she was still mad at him. That she still had that stupid silly crush on Fitz.

"He'll never know that I loved him back," Sophie whispered, staring at his letter.

Dear Foster.

Dear Foster.

Dear Foster.

~Flashback~

"Come on Foster!" Keefe yelled, laughing as she struggled to keep up with him. "You know, for a girl who can teleport, you're a pretty slow runner."

Sophie giggled. "Let's get moving Hunkyhair!"

"You don't even know where we're going, do you, Foster?" Keefe asked, smirking. Sophie felt her cheeks blushing.

"Nope. But if you're leading me, I'll follow you anywhere," Sophie whispered, bopping him on the nose.

"Good compromise."

He grabbed her hand and they kept running, through the fields, wherever life would take them.

Finally, Keefe stopped and sank down onto the grass panting. "Wanna take a break?"

"I thought you'd never ask," Sophie groaned, curling up against him.

For a while, they stared out into the sunset in silence.

But it wasn't awkward silence. It was peaceful silence.

"Love you Foster," Keefe told her, winking.

But Sophie had been too busy drifting off to sleep to hear him

~Flashback~

Just thinking about the memory made her eyes sting.

Curse her photographic memory. She could remember each detail about him now- his ice blue eyes, and that mischievous smirk that she'd never realized made her so happy.

They'd been so happy.

And he'd still left it all behind.