one

Dear Keefe,

Do you know that sometimes I still like to try to transmit to you? I know you never hear me.  Otherwise you would transmit something back.

Do you know that it's been four years since I last saw you? I still blame myself sometimes, for letting you go. I try not to.  But it's hard without you being there to tell me otherwise.

Do you know I still write you these letters? You've never responded.  I don't know how you would.  I don't know if you're dead or alive and scheming more of your pranks.  But I wi

"Sophie! Fitz is here!"

Sophie smiled sadly at her paper, flipping over the sheet gently and tucking her pencil back in its case.  She'd learned to live a life without knowing if Keefe was still waking up each morning like she was.

Sometimes she'd bring a pillow, a blanket, and Ella over to her window and stare out of it until she fell asleep, hoping that Keefe was doing the same, wherever he was.

She hurried down the stairs to face her boyfriend, who was grinning.

She was dating Fitz- and had been.  Without Keefe there to make her feel conflicted, she was pretty sure she didn't have much of a choice.

Maybe they were better as friends.  But that didn't matter now.

Fitz kissed her- which had always felt a little awkward.  But she went along with it and forced a little laugh.

Did you know the last time I had a real laugh was four years ago, when you made me?

"Doing okay?" Fitz asked, still smiling. They'd graduated from Foxfire three years ago. Now they were free to live their lives.

But Sophie didn't think she'd have to live in a future without Keefe.

"Want to go to Atlantis?"  Fitz teased, lifting her up on his shoulders piggyback style when she didn't answer. Sophie's face fell, remembering the way that Keefe used to lift her the same way, smirking...

She slid off his back.  "I... no.  Sorry- maybe a little later?"

"You okay?" Fitz asked, taking her hands as worry creased in his eyebrows. 

"As good as I'll ever be," Sophie said, smiling shakily.  She hurried back upstairs to write letters to Keefe.