-5-

Lexi, in her pajamas, climbed up to the roof of their house from the attic window. Tonight, she was alone at home. Her parents were on a trip with her brother, and they left her when she refused to go with them. If it was Matthew who said "no" to them, for sure, they wouldn't give up just easily. But she wasn't Matthew; she was Lexi--just Lexi. Her steps got nearer on the edge of the roof. She looked at the ground below her; the garage was empty, but later, it would contain her lifeless body. She took a deep breath. Then closed her eyes and let herself fall. Air swished against her body, and then the momentum stopped.

Lexi didn't feel the pain she was expecting; she never thought that suicide would be simply painless like this. Her eyes opened slowly and got widened when she saw the familiar face of a man. He was staring at her with blank expression, but within his gaze she could sense a glint of concern.

"Y-you?" Lexi frowned. She realized that the man was carrying her--and they were flying back to the roof. "Y-You're an angel?"

"I'm not an angel." Old Tim brought her down carefully when they reached the roof.

"Then, maybe you're Death? Are you sending me to hell for committing suicide?"

"No, I'm not Death. And no, you're not going to hell--because you didn't die."

Lexi scanned Old Tim from head to foot. She noticed that he was wearing the same suit as the night they first met.

"Wait." She was silent for seconds, shaking her head. She sighed then deliberately sat on the roof. "Who are you?" Lexi asked, staring up at his emotionless face.

He offered a hand downward to her. "Call me Old Tim," he said with a mesmerizing smile.

She clasped hands with him, feeling his soft, firm touch. As her small, brown eyes met his, she felt a familiar bond connecting their hearts. "Why do I feel like I have known you for a long time?" she asked, unblinking.

"Because the warmth of your birthday lantern linked us."

Lexi's brows raised; her forehead furrowed as her hand unclasped from his hold. "My birthday lantern--how did you know about that?"

Old Tim sat beside Lexi. "I caught it in the air and brought it away the raindrops."

"What are you?" It was almost a whisper.

"I'm a Guardian of Time," he answered.

"G-Guardian of Time?"

"It's a rank of Guardians responsible to shifting the time on earth. Like Angels, we have a sacred duty. But I'm not here for my duty; I'm here for you."

"For me?"

Old Tim didn't answer for a moment. His eyes were focused over the city landscape. "Because of that lantern, I saw you cry. I heard you curse your life. I felt your loneliness--your agony." He met her eyes. "What's the reason behind your pain? Why do you want to end your life?"

Lexi avoided his stare. "Because... nobody cares for my existence." She pressed her lips, thinking if she should trust an unknown being like him. But when she remembered he saved her life, she held back her doubt. "My parents love my brother too much because he's the only grandson in our clan. All my relatives think he's a blessing, you see. My parents are so proud of him, and they give him everything--as in everything that nothing has left for me."

"But I'm here for you now, Lexi. I'll try to help you."

Lexi gave him a bewildered look. "But you have your own duty--"

"Believe me, I'll make you happy."

Lexi paused. And then she chuckled. "Now you made me happy with that joke." She looked at him; their gaze locked. Her grin wore out as she saw the sincerity in his eyes.

"I don't know how, but I'm willing to help you find happiness." Old Tim took her hand and placed it on his chest. "It's hard to believe, but since the day I took your lantern, my heart has started to beat in the same rhythm as yours."

Lexi, feeling his throbbing heart, raised her other hand toward her chest and compared the sounds of their heartbeat. They were the same! She gaped, then she threw him a look--full of wonder.

"Even I couldn't explain; it's strange," he said.  "But all I know is I truly desire to make you happy."