Epilogue

The past faded back to the present... Old Tim noticed a glimmering light through below the clouds. He hesitated for a while before he glided down toward the light and found not only one but two sky lanterns. He looked below him. Lexi was there, standing side by side with the tall, young man who was familiar to Old Tim. Lexi was waving her hand toward the sky--in his direction.

"It can't be. No, she can't see me."

Old Tim flew to the opposite side. When he saw her staring still at the vacated side, his thought was confirmed right. Lexi couldn't see him; she shouldn't see him anymore. But he glided down--invisible in front of her.

"Old Tim, I hope you are listening. I want you to meet Angelo, my fiancé." Lexi gestured to the handsome man beside her.

"Your fiancé?"

"Yes, Old Tim. I'm engaged now," she said, as if she heard him ask. "We're actually planning to get married after three years. Well, it is the right age following my clan's tradition. Don't worry, Angelo and I have talked about it. He is willing to wait if I am still not ready to settle down by then. He's a wonderful guy. You know, he really makes me feel important. Very like you, isn't he?" Her eyes were filled with joy. "By the way, Angelo's with me because he wants to tell you something." Lexi gave her fiancé an inquiring look.

"Hello, Old Tim. I'm Angelo, Lexi's neighbor who turned to be her lucky fiancé." Angelo met Lexi's eyes, reaching for her hands to hold them. "Lexi told me many good things about you. I actually saw you in person at Matthew's birthday. Yes, I was there. It was an unforgettable night because I was dying jealous seeing you together, really."

Lexi mockingly raised a brow at him. Angelo grinned, exposing his dimples.

"Old Tim," he continued. "That night was the first time I saw Lexi so happy, and I'll do my very best to make her happy like that always. Thank you for taking good care of her when I wasn't by her side. Promise, I'll protect and love her forever." He kissed her hands.

"Old Tim," Lexi looked up into the sky again, unaware that he was just beside her. "I know you would be happy for me, wouldn't you?" She smiled. "Thank you for putting trust into my heart." She sighed. "Goodbye now, my dear Old Tim. I know, you'll always be happy with your sacred duty." She waved her hand as if she could see him through the clouds.

Lexi walked away, hand in hand with Angelo. Old Tim watched them. Then he smiled and said, "I am, sweet Lexi. Because I know you both love each other genuinely--if not, you wouldn't have still remember me by now. I wish you happiness for the rest of your lives."

Old Tim headed back to the tower, flying through the fine, thin threads of rain. And when he heard the long sound of a horn, he joined the rank of Guardians of Time, getting ready to perform their sacred duty.

_________

_________

Thank you for reading! Please leave your print on the Comments Box.

You might also want to check out the following published short stories, written in English, by yours truly:

-War Breeds War

-Fused Painfully In Love

-Julianne

-Listen to Me, Jestin

-The Pauper's Heir

-Before the Perfect Flight

All are free to read. See my profile/bio page. (For links, click PUBLISHED WORKS OUTSIDE WATTY.)