-7-

To leave Lexi was the hardest thing to do. But he had to choose--and he must choose his sacred duty. He explained it to her, and like a true friend, she listened and understood. He knew, their separation would be painful--especially for her because she would feel alone again. But Old Rafie was right; humans were out of their duty. He had no right to make her happy. He had no space in her life. He wasn't the right one to be by her side.

Old Tim stayed in her room that night, sitting on her bedside.

"I don't want to forget you, Old Tim." Lexi looked up straight at his eyes. "Yes, I'll be terribly sad without you. But at least, knowing you're just somewhere in the sky, thinking that someone's watching over me, that will be my inspiration to go on living."

"But you can't live like that forever," he said.

Lexi wiped her eyes with the back of her hands even before the tears fell down. "I want to watch the sunset and sunrise while thinking about you. I'll do that 'til I get older--with my children, and my grandchildren, and my granchildren's children. That will surely make me happy."

Old Tim's gaze was still nailed down to her. Lexi's flowing tears were crashing his heart.

"The right time for that moment will come, Lexi. Trust me. Trust me once more."

Silence passed between them, staring at each other. As Lexi saw the sincerity in his eyes, she nodded. Old Tim felt relieved when she closed her eyes. And when she fell asleep, he put his palm on her forehead and removed all her memories of him.

"When you finally learned to trust and love the right person, you'll surely remember me again," he whispered. "Goodbye, sweet Lexi."