Willpower

A/N: Didn't know what else to name the OS so... yeah. Another bathroom idea of mine when I was trying to visualise the previous OS.

Reminds me, this is a book of OS. If you want me to expand any one of them, please do express yourselves in the comments and I'll see what I can do :)

AU: Arjuna knew that Karna was his brother for years but still was forced to face him on the 17th day of the war.

"Take aim Arjuna, this is your chance to kill him" Krishna said as he noticed Arjuna hesitating.

"No, not when he is unarmed and defenseless. That is not right Madhava" Arjuna said as he saw Karna struggling to get his wheel off the ground.

"He killed your son, this is the right chance to avenge him. Even your son was defenseless when he faced 6 warriors." Krishna persuaded.

"But two wrongs don't make a right Madhava."

"But you might not get another chance to kill him. Remember your oath!"

"I do remember it Madhava, but I want to do it the right way. If I die in the process, so be it." he said, taking a deep breath.

"Don't act like a fool and miss a golden opportunity!"

"I don't want a victory gained by unfair means"

"Think about your brothers for a moment! He humiliated and sent them back"

"Oh I am thinking about them Madhava. And now you are telling me to kill one of them in a cowardly way, what about that?" he whispered and Krishna turned towards him in surprise.

"You know?"

"Oh I do, for a very long time actually, long before the war, long before brother Karna himself knew, if I am right." he said as he stood still, not giving anything away in his stoic face.

"Sacrifices have to be made Partha. He even insulted your brothers!"

"He is our eldest, he had every right to do so. Plus he was under an oath, an oath he gave to mother when she visited him" he replied.

"Are you going to betray your whole army in order to favour for this feelings?"

"No, I am betraying no one when I wait for him to pick up his bow. It is only if I refuse to kill him I am betraying someone" he said strongly as he saw Karna glance at the setting sun and back at him before leaving the wheel and picking up a sword.

Arjuna just smiled and picked up his own. "Good choice" he commented as he got off.

"You have really gone mad. What will I tell your brothers if you died now?" Krishna muttered as he walked past him and Arjuna dutifully ignored it.

"Tell them that I died either due to my bravery or my stupidity." he waved off as he charged towards his brother, who picked up his speed and they met with equal force as their swords crashed.

"Either you are stupid or very brave. Why not take that chance? I killed your son and stood silent while he was tortured." Karna gritted out.

"Funny that you are repeating everything Madhava had just said. I wanted to fight a fair fight with my brother. Plus I had killed your son so... I guess that equates it somewhat" Arjuna replied and took the opening Karna had left in a moment of shock.

"How did you know?" Karna asked as he tried to parry the oncoming strikes.

"Came to know about it long ago brother. Don't worry, the secret is safe with me though. Not even mother knows I know. And my brothers won't know until mother tells them about it" Arjuna said with a smile.

"But why admit it now? Why not before?" Karna panted as they circled each other again, trying to find an opening.

"So that I can tell them your last words. I know you came here, expecting to die in the battlefield, don't bother denying that. I know you promised mother that she will have 5 sons after he war - either you or me but I know that you'll rather die the way you are right now than kill me and be with my brothers. And I understand" Arjuna said as he tried an experimental jab.

"How long have you known?" Karna asked, his voice gaining a heavier tone.

"Years" Arjuna replied as he deftly disarmed him and pushed him to the ground, going in for the killing shot.

"Forgive me and give me strength. Any last words?" Arjuna muttered and Karna just smiled as he leaned closer

"This is what I wanted. Do not regret or repent the actions you do now. Good luck on your future endeavours. And thank you for giving me the chance" Karna whispered and Arjuna hardened his heart before taking the shot, his eyes glistening just a bit as he drove the sword to the heart.

"I did what you asked for me Madhava, I fulfilled my oath" he said. His oath had been fulfilled, but at the loss of his brother.

A/N: Before anyone asks, the reason I made them use swords in the end was due to Parasurama's curse... and honestly, I wanted the bros to have one private conversation between them, which wouldn't be possible if they were using bows.

My update schedule will definitely be erratic as I post whenever I pen down ideas so... yeah, don't expect me to keep a fixed schedule. But I will try my best to sneak in a fic or two per month, I promise.

Hope you all like it! All comments and criticisms accepted and appreciated! Prompts are welcome!

Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!

Rasnak signing off :) ;)

UPDATED ON 17 JULY 2020