Breakdown

A/N: Takes place after the game of dice... and while they were in the forest.

It was really late in the night and everyone was sleeping... at least Draupadi was while the rest of them pretended to sleep while keeping an eye on their eldest, who'd volunteered to stay up and keep watch for the night.

This had been going on for many days and the younger brothers were getting really concerned for his health and decided that it was time to him confront today. It was then or never

The 4 of them silently sneaked out of the grass mats and approached their brother, who was just staring blankly at a distance. "Jyesth, talk to us" Nakula said bluntly as he dropped down beside him, startling him out of his thoughts.

"Huh? What are you talking about Nakula?" Yudhisthira asked, his brows furrowed in confusion. "Whatever is clogging up your mind so much that you didn't even notice the four of us beside you" Sahadeva said.

"Nothing, it was nothing" Yudhisthira tried to wave it off as he wiped away the stray tear that'd escaped his eye. "Yes, that's why you haven't gotten enough sleep over these days, always sneaking out and getting lost in your thoughts... You need to take care of yourself Jyesth" Arjuna said in concern.

"No, I am very much fine. You all go to sleep. I am fine" he muttered, trying to convince yourself. "Yes, you are very much fine. And that is why you aren't able to even look into our eyes and talk. That is why you are avoiding us like plague when not necessary. Right Bratha?" Bhima asked, a tinge of bitterness in his voice.

"You've been like a father to us bratha... ever since father had died... you willingly took charge to take care of us when we needed it. But taking care... it goes both ways. Just like we come to you when we have trouble... you should have no qualms coming to us when something is bothering you" Sahadeva said gently.

"But with the fact that you'd rather push us away than tell us what the problem is... it seems like we failed you Jyesth" Arjuna said, the 4 of them looking down, feeling hurt.

"But I have failed my duty haven't I? I just lost the right... I don't deserve this respect or love from you all after whatever I've done. No father or elder brother does this to their own... no husband does this to their wives... I've failed you all... I don't deserve all this..." Yudhisthira said blankly.

"Bratha... people always mistakes. Plus the dice... while it was wrong on your part too, the main instigators were Duryodhana and Shakuni. We were their mere victims who fell into their trap. But whatever happened to Draupadi... it was all our faults. We all let her down. She had 5 husbands who were useless when the time came to actually protect her" Bhima said gently.

"But it still wasn't right on my part... she was the wife of 5 yet I kept her on the stake without even... it was all my fault. If I hadn't actually accepted the invite... If I hadn't let myself be so involved... all this wouldn't have happened. Bhima... you took the oath to burn off my hands. Do it. Let this be my punishment for the crime I've committed." he said in determination and Bhima shook his head.

"What you need right now is a breakdown. And lots of sleep. Not you harming yourself or inflicting self pain. We still have an oath to fulfil. Our oath to our wife. Our oath to take revenge on the ones who humiliated her" he broke gently.

"Since our childhood, you've been catching us whenever we fall. Just for once, let us return the favour brother. This time, you cry your heart out and we will catch you." Nakula said softly as he tightened the grip on his brother's shoulder.

"And before you say it's not right and all that, you've taken care of us all these years and just bottled up whatever you are feeling inside you. You grew up just so that we can retain our childhood. You sacrificed your innocence just so that we can retain ours for a little while longer. We followed because of our faith in you. We followed you because we genuinely loved you" Arjuna said as he hugged him from behind.

"We are all human brother. And it is human to commit mistakes. If you don't make mistakes, you aren't human. Nobody is perfect, everybody is flawed. And that is what makes us human. And we definitely don't expect you to be this perfect, flawless human being. And we certainly don't judge you for making mistakes. People say that you learn from them instead of wallowing in self pity" Sahadeva reasoned.

"But you all are suffering from my mistake, Draupadi is suffering for my error... this isn't fair on all of you. I'd promised to protect and take care of you... and I failed that simple task" Yudhisthira said bitterly as he pulled his knees closer yo himself.
"Life is definitely not a bed of roses. Suffering and pain... it is bound to happen. You can't protect us always brother. Sometimes it must be the other way round too. So you let go today and the 4 of us will catch you. Or don't you trust us to do so?" Arjuna asked

And Yudhisthira finally let himself fall into his brothers waiting arms. He let go of the pain and sorrow and worry he'd held in for years and let his brothers comfort him, take care of him. And for the first time in a really long time, he actually slept through the night.

A/N: And done. Hope you all like it! All comments and criticisms accepted and appreciated! Prompts are welcome! Fun fact, this was written up in half an hour... and not edited, at all.

Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!

Rasnak signing off :) ;)

UPDATED ON 6 SEPTEMBER 2020

Mahabharata OSOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara