Her Past

December 23, 1883
Intramuros, Maynila
9:23pm

The church bells started to ring, and the Spanish devotees and their children were called to come inside. Just a glance from the door, and you'll notice the rich are chatting with the 'mestizos' while the Filipinos and the poor are sweating, using their fans on the side and at the back.

A young woman was about to go in when a young boy called her.

"Miss! Would you like to look at my goods? I have rosaries, necklaces, bracelets, and rings."    The boy showed her a mirror to see if she has something she likes.

The woman noticed a bracelet with a crystal bead that illuminated moonlight and shone brightly like a star. She said that she wanted the bracelet.

"I see, it would be ten pesos madame." She bought the bracelet and walked towards the door.

"That bracelet was given to you by the gods, a symbol of the gods' approval to his return. May the goddess Mayari bless you," the boy said and vanished.

____________

An hour passed, and the mass is finished. Many people walked out of the church, and the young woman was interrupted.

"Blanca! Dios mio! Where have you gone? I was waiting for you at the front." An old woman stopped her.

"I am sorry Doña Fatima, I bought something so I was late, " she replied.

"Well be early next time, I was even looking forward to chatting with you. Don't keep your future mother-in-law waiting, hmm?"

"Yes, señora. Have a good night." Blanca showed a faint smile and left.