Her New Choice

December 24, 1883
Casa Dolores, Tondo, Maynila
5:23pm

She told her mother that she would meet Ambrosio on the shore tonight. Her mother reminded her that she would soon marry Don Sergio and that she needs to cut ties with the young fisherman. She felt her heart tighten because she knew that it wouldn't be that easy.

"I understand that you like Ambrosio, but you cannot split your heart into two, sweetheart. No matter how hard it may be to pick, make sure you wouldn't regret the choice you will make, " her mother advised her.

In their front yard, she saw Doña Fatima's calesa and felt a knot in her stomach. When she saw Sergio on one of their windows, she adored on how handsome he is but guilt is raging in her body. She couldn't bring herself to go in, so she ran away to go to the sea.

"Blanca! Darling! Where are you going?" she could hear Doña Fatima's voice.

"Oh, she's just going to see a friend, amiga. She'll be back soon," her mother tried to calm Doña Fatima.

"My goodness, Paloma! Many young women are running away from their suitors nowadays. They don't know that their elders just want the best for them," Doña Fatima complained, but Paloma just rolled her eyes.

___________________

Upon reaching the shore, Blanca saw the stunning sight of the sunset. She waited for a few moments when Ambrosio approached her while dragging his boat. They both get on board, and Ambrosio started to paddle away from the shore.

When the night came, the moon shone brightly, you could see a clear reflection on the sea. It was really breathtaking, the glistering fire on the lantern, the twinkling stars, and the endless sea suggested a romantic atmosphere.

Ambrosio picked up a small guitar and started to sing love songs. Confessing long-kept feelings through heartwarming lyrics and melody.

By just listening to his voice, Blanca's heart started to beat like crazy. For the first time, she wanted her world to revolve around this man's life.

Her hand moved the pieces of hair that blocked his face. She caressed his cheeks, closed her eyes, and leans forward to kiss him.

At the back of his mind, Ambrosio is still concerned about their future. He doesn't have much money as Sergio nor Blanca. He never got any education, for his father only knew the knowledge of the sea and its blessings. His mother left them because she doesn't want to be poor anymore, and he's afraid that Blanca would do the same. He gently pulls away from her as he faces her.

"Will you relish being a poor man's wife? If I would be unable to provide for the life you wanted, would you still stay?" he asked, his gaze piercing her lover's eyes.

"I'll relish being your wife. If you cannot provide, then I would also work for you.

I don't pretend to know the challenges you're facing, but I'm not afraid. I would love you until the world's last day comes," she replied.

Ambrosio still looks troubled and looked around the sea. Blanca hugged him from behind.

"We don't need too much money, you don't have to worry about it. If I could grant you peace of mind, would that be enough?" she added.

Ambrosio faced her and held her hand close to his face.

"Are you sure that you would marry this worrisome man? You could still-" Blanca cuts him by kissing him again.

On that night, the sea witnessed a love sprouting, and the moon judged a new fate that was unfolding.