Chapter 9

The rain came fast and sudden, plastering against the ground and drumming against the leaves. Dipper cursed, holding his bag above his head to try and keep himself dryer.

"Why now?" The teen muttered. He picked up his pace, bag rattling as he broke into a run. He slid down a slope and mud seeped into his battered trainers.

He was soaking, shivering and stumbling, but the excitement couldn't be distinguished inside of him. It was like a heater, warming him up from the inside. He could feel a buzzing in his fingers, whether it was from magic or the cold he didn't know.

Finally he could see the clearing up ahead, and with the sight he saw the tree he was looking for. It's long leaves would provide a perfect shelter from the rain so his journal wouldn't get ruined within a second.

Dipper ran to it, throwing his bag forward first before diving under himself. He drew in his knees, pulling out his journal. As soon as the cover flashed in his arms, he heard a twig snap in the trees opposite him.

He could've sworn that he saw something in the shadows. It wasn't a monster, or he would be dead by now. It had to be another human, but why weren't they coming over to him? The only conclusion he came to was that he was being watched, but by who he didn't know.

Dipper narrowed his eyes, but couldn't see anything but the trees. Whoever it was, they clearly didn't want to be seen.

Had they seen his journal? They must have. Only the cover, but still – everyone in Gravity Falls knew he didn't have a book like this. It would create unwanted questions.

The teen shoved the book back in his bag and stood up slowly. He counted under his breath, tensing his muscles.

Then, he ran.

He ran through the trees, weaving through their trunks. His eyes widened when he heard the heavy footsteps of someone running after him.

Cursing, he turned suddenly, hoping to lead them off the trail. He was gaining ground on them, getting lost in the trees.

"Dipper!" A voice called from behind him. The voice was familiar, but he couldn't hear it properly over the hammering of rain and the sound of his own heavy breathing. So this person clearly knew who he was.

Dipper ran faster, jumping over tree roots and stones. Lightning flashed in the sky, lighting up a cave that had escaped his view. Without a second thought, he ran into it and tucked himself in the corner.

Footsteps grew closer. Dipper held his breath as they stopped just at the cave opening.

Dipper knew those boots. His eyes widened as the man slowly walked away from the cave, giving a clear view of his identity.

Ford.

His grunkle was soaking like Dipper was, his face twisted into an angry frustration. Dipper stayed still, not daring to move, as Ford slowly walked away.

"Out of everyone it had to be Ford..." Dipper muttered, raking his hand through his fringe. "He knows the most about the supernatural!"

If Ford managed to piece together what had been happening, what Dipper was trying to do on this rainy day – he didn't want to think about it. He held some fear for his once-idol. The man was unpredictable.

Dipper didn't know what to do. He wondered whether he should try and get back in the shack before Ford could, but then realised that it was almost impossible to do.

Amongst all the uncertainly, Dipper found himself longing for Bill, wanting his advice. It was strange to come to terms with wanting Bill with him, but he quickly got used to it. He was his teacher now after all.