~Tough Times-Charlie Barber~

Summary: you and Charlie have been together for a while now, which meant you knew all about Nicole. Although there was no hatred between them, arguments still sparked like a wildfire. Often times it would leave you to comfort him.

~

Charlie's hands tighten around the leather-bound wheel and you take notice of it at once. His hands were so large they practically engulfed the damn thing. He presses his full, pink lips together, his tongue darting out to wet them every once in a while. Your boyfriend was usually a relaxed driver. Something had to be up. And you knew exactly what is was. Who it was.

Nicole.

His ex-wife and the mother of his only child. Although Charlie had adored her, their marriage wasn't meant to be. They split around two years ago and it had taken him to pluck up the courage to get back in the dating game. That's when he found you and everything changed for the better. He got healthier--mentally and physically--along with finding himself all over again. When you first met him, he was always wearing khakis and sweaters. Now he was wearing leather jackets, jeans, and t-shirts. It was like the side that Nicole had smothered was returning. He refused to get rid of those sweaters though, but you couldn't complain. You adored Charlie and he adored you.

Even though Charlie and Nicole had split, they remained in touch. You never got jealous though. In fact, you liked that the two of the stayed in touch so they could settle things and take care of Henry together. They fought less but when they did fight, it was bad. One time Charlie had called you in the middle of one and had you take Henry away before the kid heard some things he wasn't supposed to you.

With your schedule and Charlie's schedule combined, it only made sense for the two of you to take him on weekends. It was a little hard on him to be away from his son for so long, but it only made him happier when he got to see him. Now it was Saturday morning and you were speeding off toward Nicole's house.

"Charlie?" You say softly, reaching out towards the arm closest to you.

Lost so deeply in his thought, he flinches slightly at your touch. Charlie shakes his head, snapping himself out of his daze. "I'm fine."

"Obviously not," you chuckle lightly. "Just try not to start anything with Nicole. Think about Henry."

"I am." Charlie says angrily. "I haven't seen my son in four weeks because she keeps making up excuses. She's damn lucky I don't take that up with the court."

You squeeze his strong arm. "If it turns into a problem, we can do whatever you want. For now let's just focus on getting Henry and spending the weekend with him."

He sighs and glances at you, shifting his arm off of the steering wheel. Your heart bursts as Charlie intertwines his fingers with yours and rests his elbow on the center console. With a happy sigh of content, you lean in and rest your head on his broad shoulder. The two of you try not to move from this position until Nicole's house comes into view.

The moment the car's front wheels hit the driveway, Charlie goes tense all over again. You slowly unbuckle your seat-beat, keeping your eyes trained on him as he fumbles with the keys. When he was like this, it was difficult to comfort him. You could see the frustration and the anger building up inside of him like a tea kettle ready to burst. Just as Charlie reaches for the door, you swiftly catch him by the wrist and he gives you a look.

"I know," you say softly. "Just... try to make it quick. This is about Henry. If you still want to discuss it with her, give her a call after. I can take Henry to get ice cream if you really want him out of the apartment."