3.12) A New Chapter

As Adelaide carefully went door after door, room after room, looking for the President, she was surprised by how many guys didn't notice her. Despite her sprained ankle and her migraine, she was being too quiet.

Nevertheless, the adrenaline and euphoria were still high. She leaned her body against the wall and took deep breaths. Her heart sped up in her chest, and she took deep breaths to calm herself.

A small explosion caught her attention, and identified it was caused by a grenade. Adelaide sighed, she wanted to help Mike, she didn't want him to end up more fucked up than he already was, but she chose to go protect the President, just like her husband wanted.

Her breath caught in her chest when she heard footsteps coming from the hall next to her. She calculated it was only one man, and that perhaps he didn't know she was there.

With a sigh, she showed up in the hall. Adelaide was right. It was only one man. The man was was about to open a door, when she stopped him.

"Hey!" She yelled, gaining the man's attention. She wasn't going to risk if the President was behind that exact door or not.

"Oh, finally we meet," the man said in disgust. "Adelaide Asher."

Then, a loud explosion was heard up on the roof. Adelaide tightened the grip on her gun, the beating of her heart sped up with a bit of anxiousness, but only praying that Mike was alright.

"Get away from that door. Right now!" She ordered the man.

"Oh, so they're in there, aren't they?" He smirked, Adelaide didn't know, but she didn't want to risk it either. "And what are you gonna do if I don't wanna step away?"

"You even dare moving an inch, and I won't regret the bullet that would go through your skull," she said firmly.

"You're a feisty First Lady, aren't you?" He teased, but it only made her blood boil with anger. "I cannot wait to get my hands on you after I kill you."

"That's absolutely disgusting," she frowned, but then smirked and raised her hands in surrender. "You wanna piece of this? Come and get it."

The two threw their guns to the ground at the same time, before running towards each other in attack mode. Adelaide dodged his punch, and threw her fist across his jaw. He stumbled a bit, but quickly regained his balance, she threw another punch at him, but he caught her wrist and twisted her arm around. Adelaide groaned and managed to free her wrist. She used all her strength and pushed him against the door, but it didn't open. Adelaide kneed him on his stomach, grabbed a gun out of his vest, and shot him repeatedly in the chest.

The man was dead, but there were others coming. There wasn't a column for her to hide. Adelaide started breathing heavily as they were getting closer on both of her sides. She looked at the door behind her, knowing that if she died, at least he died trying to protect the President of the United States. A tear escaped her eye when she thought of her daughter, but nonetheless, Adelaide closed her eyes and accepted her fate.

"Police! Drop your weapons!" She opened her eyes when she noticed men dressed in black shouting across all of the halls of the building. "On the ground! On the ground! Drop your weapons now!"

The men who were closing in on Adelaide were shot down by the police, or captured. She sighed in relief, and dropped her weapon as well.

"Ms. Asher, you're alright. Are you injured?" One of them asked, and she shook her head.

"Just a sprained ankle, nothing major," she sighed. "Whe– Where's the President? Have you found him?"

"I was hoping you knew the answer to that," he stated as he wrapped his arm around her to keep her steady, and for her to not put too much pressure on her feet.