5 ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

Lydia nearly drowned in the pool of servants. Back and forth they raced, trying to outdo even that fake raid. It was posturing, that much Lydia knew, but she allowed it without even a slight comment.

Joshua didn't have to show his high status. He had his Coming of Age party later than everyone else. That alone was a symbol of his power.

Forehead against her palm, Lydia rested it there. She just wanted to talk to Mrs. Laurence. The woman was there. Unfortunately, she was dressed in a pretty frock, an apron around her waist, going to and from the kitchen as if she was a part of the staff. That presence alone revolted Lydia, but not as much as the disdainful look Mrs. Laurence gave her. Worst yet, her servile attitude toward her son was beyond Lydia's imagination.

The woman knelt while handing Joshua's tray over. Lydia had finally had enough.

"Ma'am, could we get a minute of your time?" Lydia asked, trying with all her might not to jump up and run out of the house. As much as Lydia hated being there, she could see in Mrs. Laurence's cold eyes that the woman hated to be seen like this. She kept on, however, following Joshua's commands as if he ruled all within the house.

It took another ten minutes before the buzzing of the room died down and it was just the three of them, Mrs. Laurence sharing Joshua's food.

Lydia was hungry, but all traces of her appetite faded when Joshua boxed a plate over.

"It's cold. Bring us another one. Now."

Mrs. Laurence made her way out and two servants came in to tend to the mess.

"No. Leave it," Joshua ordered. "The old bitch can get it."

And she did.

Lydia checked the time on her spare empty-as-hell diskette again and again. Thoughts of Osbourne's brother, the quiet one, came and went. Lydia wondered if the man was comfortable there, or frightened. What would Bradley do if he got out of hand? Technically, Bradley did sign off on him, so if the guards came maybe they would just give the E a sedative. She wished she knew. This 'dinner' was taking forever.

In an effort to figure out just how long she might have to endure it, Lydia asked, "Is your sister joining us, too?"

Joshua paused with a piece of bread by his mouth. "Why would she?"

Lydia had no answer. With someone else there, it'd feel less like a trap-date. She sat back in her chair. "I just wondered. It's...it's getting late. I do want to...um, my mother'll worry."

"Oh," Joshua said, taking a bite. "You can always use my private interface if you want to call her and let her know you're spending the night."

He said it casually enough, but that weak grin of his was more accurate in betraying his insecurity. Those feelings rang true, because the only reason Lydia didn't fly out of her seat and burrow her way through the concrete, an unknown fall be damned, was because she was too petrified with disgust to actually move.

"I...I don't think that's a good idea," Lydia managed with as much calm as her legendary acting skills could pull off. The coldest day in hell ever, she thought.

Joshua didn't answer.

Lydia hoped that meant all this nonsense would come to an end. The sullen expression on Joshua's face was hard for Lydia to bear. She needed to leave.

When Mrs. Laurence was close enough, Lydia took a chance. "Ma'am. We...I've got an E, and, I wondered if you could give me some advice."

She didn't answer.