25 THE CATCH

"You're a dog catcher now?" Midge demanded. "Huh? You go round catching E's like they're mongrel imps? Are you proud of that?"

Queen waved him off as he gathered up the diskettes. "I came here to enforce a judicial order, issued because of a nobleman from the Bauch section. I didn't gaw-ro know the house used a Cleaner, all right? What the hell were you doing opening a house to your kind of power anyhow? You're lucky it didn't react to you sooner." He paused and turned to his twin, finally. "And what are you doing here? I issued that eviction notice directly."

"Eviction notice?" Midge calmed, though his body still buzzed with rage. Their eyes met and he looked to Queen for honesty. "Queenie, tell me you're not honoring that judicial order."

"Of course, I'm honoring the gaw-ro judicial order. I can't pick and choose what I enforce. I'm trying to challenge it but that'll be hard without some solid proof. So yes, I requested to come in person and I took it to the highest power I could find."

Queen wore a scowl, one that Midge was well aware he probably mirrored. "Dad."

"Dad." Queen echoed, giving him a plastic smile.

"Dream on. He won't fight that order."

"Mr. Osbourne." Lydia called from the hallway. In her hands, she carried a metal box but the expression on her face held horror. "They, they're trying to get into Dizzy's room. Could—I know I don't have a right to ask but—could you just ask them to be careful with her? Please."

"Dizzy?" Queen turned to him. "Oh yeah, the nut-job I'm sensing—"

Nose to nose with him in record time, Midge gritted his teeth, speaking German, "If anyone ever called our mother a nut job, you'd be the first in line to wield the gaw-ro ax. So don't you ever disrespect a woman's family in her own gaw-ro home, you frigid, overachieving prick."

Queen let out a slow breath. His scowl was still in place when he turned to Lydia again and said in the Common language, "I'll see to it that she's treated well. This house will continue to stand, meaning that no one will know it's in litigation. All messages in and out will be forwarded to whatever location you want, but this house is now officially off the Colony's grid lines. Do you understand?"

Face pale, Lydia looked between them then settled on Midge, finally. She didn't understand and Midge hated the fact that he'd have to be the one to explain it.

"Mr. Queen's challenging the judicial order. Someone of standing's accusing a nobleman, the guards will investigate it. In the meantime it'll put this place in a total blackout, no power whatsoever, other than minimal oxygen. If you don't have any generators or an E, you'll be in darkness, and cold."

Lydia took her time in answering. "But I can stay?"

Queen snorted out a laugh, to which Midge explained, "It's...it's not a good idea. In theory, you could, but...it's really not a good idea. Nothing will function once the guards leave."

Lydia didn't seem shocked, so Midge was sure she'd known the answer was coming. Queen was quiet at least, which was a good thing.

"Do—do you have somewhere to go?" Midge asked.

The shaky smile took some time to form, and Lydia almost pulled it off. "Sure. I've got tons of friends to bunk with. I...I'll be fine. Um, I just need to get some clothes, but I'm more worried about, about my mom. They say she's locked the door again. Could...."

Midge didn't want to force Lydia to beg, so he nodded and stepped past her into the hall. He called to two of the more pleasant looking guards who sat chatting against the wall. Their Lower-Level accents were a comfort.