21 OBSTACLES

"Your trousers are still open," Lydia whispered with a smile.

Midge pretended not to fall for it this time. They traveled the long hall, and every now and then Lydia caught a glimpse of the E gliding his fingers along his waist to make sure.

When Lydia snickered, Midge darted for her. "You little...."

"That's the fifth damn time. How do you keep falling for that?"

Midge caught Lydia by the arm and pinned her against the wall. At first Lydia liked how gentle Midge's grips were. Now she felt offended by it.

Dragging Midge closer with both hands, she eased up on her tip toes and stole a hungry kiss.

"I'm not gonna break," Lydia growled.

It wasn't long before Midge stood to his full height, cracking his back.

"The height difference alone makes me wish I'd fought you off more."

The fluttering in Lydia's stomach became heavy. "Don't say that."

An hour and a half in that room and three missed 'attraction' announcements later, Lydia had finally gotten her wish.

Real intimacy. There wasn't penetration and that hadn't mattered. Never had exploring someone or having someone take such fascination in her felt...safe and good. It felt like a stage in her life she'd missed out on—that was stolen away.

Now as they walked, Lydia couldn't wipe the fat grin off her face. Midge's words had taken care of that.

Lydia wanted this. She wanted the way they'd hook each other's fingers, even without trying. She wanted the way Midge kissed her on the forehead and pulled her close, straining even as their lips met. She wanted the way Midge would fall for that same 'I left one button on your trousers open' trick each and every time. She especially wanted the tackles.

The prospect of not getting any of that made her cringe. Midge's frown told her once again her emotions had betrayed her.

"Did I hurt you?" Midge asked, rooting Lydia's shirt up. "I didn't mean to."

"No. You didn't hurt me." Lydia brushed his hands down. "Stop treating me like I'm made of glass."

Midge took a step back. Lydia would have ignored that action if she hadn't caught sight of Midge's fists.

Hands at his sides, the E kept his distance.

Realization dawned on Lydia. She approached, took hold of Midge's shirt, and said, "I'm sorry. I keep thinking you're seeing me as small. If you're seeing yourself as big—"

"I am big." Midge tugged his shirt away. "And the terror you feel even for a split second when I catch you only reminds me of it."

They stared each other down, Lydia unsure of what she could say. Having someone who could read her bare feelings was unfair. Worst yet, they were absolutely correct. The idea that they could have trust at all seemed farfetched.

"My father's pretty tall. And he...." Lydia slowed but when Midge's eyes widened, she hurried to clarify her meaning. "Not me. My mom. He hits her.... And...and I don't do anything or say anything and in the back of my mind, I think karma's gonna catch up with me and I'm going to end up living like that, too."

Midge's expression softened. "If he's big like me, how do you expect to fight him?"

"He frightens me, that's all." Lydia sighed. "And it's weird because he doesn't beat her up for himself...it's usually because of me so...yeah, I...I'm not good with big sizes."