13. As Predicted

"Here. This is all I can give. Happy birthday Jane!" I said as I handed her a sheet of paper that was rolled up and tied with a hair tie.

"Wow. Thank you!" she replied happily. Light splashed across her blue irises. She is happy. Seeing her reaction carved a smile on my face. Even though the gift I gave was not that much, I meant it when I made it. Seeing her being all enthusiastic about the gift I made her paid off all the work to make this.

She opened it. Her eyes were fixed on what was on the surface. A painting of her and her deceased sister drawn with a pencil that I found in the kitchen. Her teary eyes didn't stop lamenting the painting it eventually fell and wet the object she was holding.

I felt guilty by it, is my art terrible? Should I not draw her sister? Why was I so insensitive? what an Idiot. My hand moved to grab the paper. "Sorry Jane, I shouldn't have—" She then took it away from my hand and shook her head.

"No, no. This art is perfect. It means a lot to me, thank you very much Lessa," she said as she rolled back the paper and put it in closet drawer. "You have to be confident in your work, Less. I've just been missing my sister so much lately. And your art really touched me. It felt so alive, I'm sure she would like it too."

Hearing that made me relieved, I thought I made Jane even sadder by drawing her sister. With a big smile I uttered, "Thank you, Jan—" The door to our room was opened abruptly, its handle hit the wall causing a loud enough sound that shocked both of us.

"How much longer do you want to be slacking off, damn it? You want to make my money wait?" Stef barked from the doorway.

"S-sorry," we said in unison. We immediately left, still smiling. As dismal as this place is, at least I have her.

-

"You still look happy, eventho we got scolded by Stef earlier. This is the first time I see someone reacts that way," she commented without looking away from the street. She must have noticed my lasting smile. "I'm happy today too. So happy it made his reprimand failed to scare me." I am even more glad to hear the joy in her tone. Today is very bright and I know why: My artwork. Another one praised my work.

"This time, the place is different from the last. You don't need to worry." 

"Where is that?"

"At the hotel, located in the middle of town. You will be amazed when you see the building."

When we rode into the area of sky crapping buildings, this hotel was the one that stood out the most among the others. Thanks to its exquisite and unique exterior design, this hotel has its own characteristics that make it easy to find it from a distance.

'Cecile-Elizabeth' is the name of that hotel. We entered the gate and parked in the basement. The packages this time aren't big for delivery, only two small suitcases.

Jane gave a name card to one of the women in receptionist. After she read the business card, she immediately called someone. "Jane, can I go to the toilet? I'll catch up with you after I'm done," I asked her. When the receptionist has finished calling, she gave two cards to me and Jane.

"Okay, but don't go anywhere. Go upstairs right after you finished and wait at the front door. I won't be long," she ordered.

"Roger that, boss!"

We parted in front of the elevator, and I immediately looked for rest room. Searching for toilet all over this floor is like an adventure. This place is very comprehensive with its stunning ornaments. I entered one of the toilet cubicles located at the very end of this room to answer the call of nature that I had been feeling since we were on the way to this hotel. Even when carrying out my affairs in a toilet that was more luxurious and expensive than my home back in Indonesia, I still didn't stop smiling at the memory of what happened this morning.