14. Little World

A/N: I am so sorry for the late update. I hope this one will make it up. Hopefully.

"I didn't know that the key card was broken," she drove this car into the drive thru of a fast food restaurant. "Thanks Goodness, nothing happened to you." I was hugging my legs and burying my face on my knees. I was still reeling from the fresh horror that had just happened a few hours ago.

I have informed her the sequence of events that I witnessed in as much detail and clarity as possible (I was sniffling at every words uttered). She was also shocked to hear that. "I'd like a pack of Big Mac and Mc Flurry ice cream," she spoke to the microphone and turned to me, "and what do you want to order?" to which I answered by shaking my head which was still buried on both knees, not feeling any appetite at all even though the sun began to set and I haven't eaten anything today. "We will have two big mac packs and two mc flurry ice creams, thank you." After she settled the payment, we went over to the food collection window.

She was still waiting for our food while tapping her fingers to the steering wheel. "Jane, is it possible to resign from this job?" I finally opened my mouth. This is the second time I have seen people—real human beings—died while on duty, it really made me sick because I actually can't stand gore things. Maybe I can stand it in the movies, but not in the real world. And I have to witness it firsthand thanks to that person. Everything has changed to a hundred and eighty degrees ever since I met Stef. He pulled me forcefully into this crime way of life. I want to go back to Indonesia. I am tired of living this lifestyle.

"Trust me, there are many who also wanted to quit, me included. But it's impossible to find the slightest gap that would help you out as if he's everywhere!" she exclaimed, frustrated. "Many people have tried. None succeed. A lot deceased, and a tons just gave up. That's when I realized, there's nothing I can do except accepting my fate."

She lowered her head and shook her head. "Besides... it's not like the outside is any better for me." Her voice was low but quite audible in my ears, she already gave up. In contrast to me who saw two policemen who had just parked their car and went to the entrance of this fast food restaurant. An idea popped in my mind. Those two people can be a way out for us. Yes, they can. "The only way to escape is—"

"This is our chance, Jane!" I cut her off as I took off my seat belt and ran outside. I heard her voice calling me from behind but I didn't heed her at all. This freedom is more important, I thought as I ran as fast as I could. Our freedom depends solely on this, so I have to succeed in convincing the two of them to help us. No, they will definitely help us. They are polices, it is in their job description to help people in need, right?

I stopped them midway and begged, "Please help us, sir! My sister and I were kidnapped by a drug dealer and now he's enslaving us. I beg you, please save us! Please, please." Their face was painted with shock as a result of being suddenly intercepted by a crying little girl in the Mc Donalds parking lot. Please believe me, you are my only hope!

Today is the day I am finally free. I can feel it in my veins. Jane and I will be finally free from that damned house. Most likely it will be raided and sealed by cops. Stef is going to jail and won't be able to bother me anymore. I can go back to Indonesia, and I'll take Jane there! And we will live normal life—

"Good Evening, Officers."

My body stiffened upon hearing his voice. The creeping fear paralyzed my movements. I wasn't even able to turn around to look at the owner of the voice that was right behind since there was no need to look back. I knew very well who spoke.

"Is my niece bothering you?" he spoke again. Dread now took over me completely, I wasn't aware of sweats that already wet my forehead. The spirit of hope I felt earlier slowly turned into layers of panic. How could he be here? Fast food restaurants are definitely not the kind of restaurant that suits his taste. Was he following us? But he never followed his slaves to work.