Nineteen • The Thing about Hanging Out and Random Phone Calls

Owen

Thank God midterms are over.

It was a warm afternoon just a little past three o'clock this fine Friday and my chest felt its lightest these past few weeks because I can finally get some rest from this college stuff.

"You're such a weirdo. Who stays inside the dorm after midterms? Let's go out." Maya told me as soon as we got out of the examination room.

Maya was walking alongside me along our school corridors as she slung her baby blue messenger bag over her shoulder, shoving in random papers and flashcards she made.

She had a judging eye on me as we went down the halls and instead of looking up at her, I stared out front instead into the sea of students spilling out of classrooms in utter joy and relief after this year's first midterm exams.

Eventually, I turned my head up at her as I continued pushing my chair, feeling the cold rims on the tips of my fingers as I did.

"Sorry. I'm really tired and I would rather spend the rest of the day sleeping in the presence of my girlfriend, thank you." I said.

I really missed Athena these past couple days and I might even be found guilty for spending less than two hours with her daily. During those two hours, I'm embarrassed to admit that it's either the times she was the one who helped me get through understanding biochemistry lectures or accompanying me to PT. To think of it, I haven't been to PT with Sophie for a couple weeks now.

"But you always get to see her. You wake up to her, go home to her, and-- didn't you guys spend a heck ton of time together during high school?" Maya spat.

I merely shrugged and as we came to a sharp turn along the corridors, I twisted my chair smoothly in that direction and continued pushing.

"Well, that's the beauty of it. I see her almost everywhere. I like that." I admitted with a small trace of a smile.

Maya groaned and cocked her head in my direction. Her gaze was engaging and I felt as if she was saying "really?" in her head.

"Come on. Just for a little bit of change in scenery? How about the mall? Ever went shopping for things you didn't need?" she said, suddenly all so cheery and bright. Her smile was huge and she radiated with excitement as soon as she mentioned the mall.

I scoffed and shook my head.

"I don't need malls if Target hands me almost everything I need, mind you."

Maya stifled a short laugh and nodded in agreement, shoving her hands into the pockets of her dark denim jeans as she walked.

"Yeah, they do have everything. Are you sure you don't want to hang out somewhere? It's the end of our exams, ain't it?" She said with a pleading look.

"Yes but--"

"No buts. You and I deserve this after that paper Dr. Anderson made us do right before midterms. Come on, we could go inside bookstores and you could go pick yourself a book. Don't you like books?" she said as she attempted bribery in order to get me to come with her to the mall.

I felt myself actually smiling since I never did remember telling Maya that I read a lot of books. Athena must've been blabbering random things to this girl and I was surprised Maya picked it up.

"Uhm, sure, yeah but I don't think I need another one. I could use some sleep though." I said, putting back sleep into the conversation as we strolled down the hallway until we reached the good elevator and got in.