Arguing With Triton

Triton sat in his throne room, twirling a flower in his hand, happily thinking of the possibility that his son might really be in love.

“Let's see, now. . . .  Oh, who could the lucky mermaid be?”

He noticed Sebastian at the entrance.

“Come in, Sebastian.”

“I mustn't overreact. I must remain calm.” Sebastian said to himself.

“Yes.” He cleared his throat. “Yes, Your Majesty.”

“Now, Sebastian, I'm concerned about Aaron. Have you noticed he’s been acting peculiar lately?”

“OH but Aaron has always acted peculiar ever since he was a child.”

“Yes but he’s been acting more strange than ever. You know, moaning about, daydreaming, singing to himself. . . . You haven't noticed, hmm?”

“Oh…well, I…” Sebastian stuttered

“Sebastian. . . .”

“Hmmm?”

“I know you've been keeping something from me. . . .”

“Keeping . . . something?” Sebastian swallowed nervously.

“About Aaron?”

“Aaron . . . ?”

“In love?”

Sebastian took a big gulp and then cried out defeated.

“I tried to stop him, sir. He wouldn't listen. I told him to stay away from humans - they are bad, they are trouble, but turns out he has a human best friend and……”

“Humans?  WHAT ABOUT HUMANS?” Triton asked already enraged.

“Humans? Ho ho ho ho. . . . Who said anything about humans?” Sebastian laughed nervously.

Flounder led Aaron to their little cove.

“Flounder, why can't you just tell me what this is all about?” Aaron asked eagerly.

“You'll see. It's a surprise.” Flounder answered.

They entered and Aaron gasped as he saw Erica’s statue.

“Oh, Flounder……Flounder you're the best!” Aaron said, swinging Flounder around. Then he went closer to the statue.

“It look just like her. It even has her eyes.”

He turned to the statue and cupped it’s hard cheek.

"Oh what’d I give to see those eyes again.” He said dreamily.

He turned around to see his father and he gasped.

“Dad!”

“I consider myself a reasonable merman. I set certain rules, and I expect those rules to be obeyed.” Triton said furiously.

“But Dad……”

“Is it true you rescued a human from drowning?”

“Dad, I had to. Besides [Y/n]……”

“Oh [Y/n], is that the one you call your human best friend?”

“Yes, but she’s not…”

“How long have you been meeting up with her?”

“Dad I…”

“How long?” Triton asked with gritted teeth.

“Since we were kids.” Aaron answered dementedly.

“Contact between the human world and the merworld is strictly forbidden. Aaron, you know that! Everyone knows that!”

“They would have died…”

“Two less humans to worry about!”

“You don't even know them.”

“Know them? I don't have to know them. They're all the same. Spineless, savage, harpooning, fish-eaters, incapable of any feeling…”

“[Y/n] is nothing like that. She’s the nicest person you’d ever meet. And I love her sister!”

Triton gasped and rose to his full height.

“No . . . Have you lost your senses completely? She’s a human, you're a merman!”

“I don't care.” Aaron said stubbornly.

“So help me Aaron, I am going to get through to you. And if this is the only way, so be it.”

Triton turned and started blasting all Aaron’s artifacts and collections with his trident.

“Dad!. . . No . . . No, please. Dad, stop!. . . Dad, Nooo!!”

He finally blasts the statue and Aaron swims over to the debris cradling what he could find crying.

Triton calms down and sees the state his son is in. Then he leaves with a heavy heart.

Sebastian walked over to where Aaron was crouched.

“Aaron, I . . .”

Aaron interrupted him.

“Just go away.”