Chapter 8: Keep Calm and Flutter On

A pleasant afternoon it was in Ponyville as nothing out of the ordinary has been happening around the peaceful town. Just the usually ponies doing their ordinary tasks across the town and nothing special. Well, nothing special was correct as it was also Spike who is seen walking across Ponyville was looking bored which was not usual for him as he is usually helping Twilight.

The purple baby dragon just kicks a mushroom out of the ground with full boredom in his face.

Spike: What to do, what to do. . .

He then turns to his left and sees the hot air balloon that the Mane 7 use in a small distance. He then get's an idea from just looking at it.

Spike: *gasps* A hot air balloon ride! That's how I'll spend my day! Touching my nose with my tongue, playing bongos on my belly, and smelling my dirty feet weren't really much, but this'll make up an even better option to spend my day off.

Spike runs up eyeing the hot air balloon, but he wasn't watching where he was going as he bumps into a pole in front of him that had the string to the hot air balloon tied to it. His eyes twirl around dizzily for a second before the balloon string unties itself from it's pole and starts to rise up and fly away alarming Spike.

Spike: Oh no! Wait! Runaway balloon!

Spike immediately chases after the hot air balloon across the Ponyville market and he jumps onto a couple of crates before bouncing on a house's awning causes him to accidentally take a mare's towel which he throws back.

Spike: Sorry!

He bounces off the house once again to try and catch the hot air balloon, but he was just out of reach from it and lands in cart that rolls away once Big Mac tries to drop a bag in it.

Spike get's up from the cart and sees that he's gaining on the balloon and get's a smile before it turns into a worried gasp as he sees Granny Smith in the distance trying to pick up a lonely apple off of the ground. He uses his claws which burn up due to the friction with the wheels to then make the cart coming to an instant stop which launches him into the air and causes the cart to stand up on it's harness. Granny Smith just eyes the cart with confusion.

Spike who was now flying in the air, looked at his smoking claws as the soot disappears. He then sees that he is about to gain right up on the balloon as when he got enough distance, he was able to grab the rope that came loose from it's pole and get to come to a slow descend towards the ground. However, the place where he landed was not pleasant like Ponyville as Spike was now deep in the Everfree Forest.

When he landed on the ground, he tied the balloon up to a tree branch nearby to prevent it from flying away again.

Spike: *relieved sigh* That was a close one.

He then looks around and sudden realization came to him of now knowing where exactly he is in the area.

Spike: I-If I didn't know better, I would swear that I was in the middle of the dark and scary Everfree Forest.

He then hears a twig snap which makes him yelp and instantly look behind him to see eyes all around him in the darkness of the forest.

Spike: What was that?!

He then backs away slowly and scared at what he was witnessing.

Spike: C'mon, Spike. Just because this forest is full of wild dangerous animals, doesn't mean that you're gonna see one! Hehe. . .

He then notices a really bad smell as he backs up and he slips on a tree root on his back. He sits up and looks at it while scratching his head. Something with really bad breath then exhales it's stench once more causing Spike to cover his nose in disgust.