xxix. aino part two

THE TIME OF ANGELS PART TWO

edited as of december 22nd, 2020

When she heard an explosion, followed by the echo of rocks falling down, Aino's shoulders dropped in disappointment. Paving the way out of the transport ship and out onto the nighttime beach, Aino finds Father Octavian standing beside a couple of soldiers.

Standing tall in front of him, Aino said as respectfully as she could under her annoyed state, "Father Octavian, I thought we agreed I did the exploding-parts in the contract?" That was yet another thing she slid into there, this one hidden with invisible ink.

"We had Bob and Crispin search for you, but the explosions don't wait for you, Aino."

Aino shook it off, looking back to the transport ship, she hollers, "River! We're through!"

---

Aino may love some exhilaration, but when it came to rope ladders, she was highly against it. With the others climbing below and above her, she went down the slowest and holding on the tightest.

On the other hand, Charlotte didn't seem bothered by the wibbly-wobbly rope ladder. Climbing down the ladder's side, a trick she learned when climbing the rope ladder connected to a Zeppelin, she gave a 'hola' to Aino before continuing to climb down. Aino gawked at her before continuing down as well.

Finally, after stepping off the final ladder rod, Aino joins the group beside Father Octavian. Like him, she turns on her torch, pointing it at the statues placed around the cave-system. The statues, which sent a shiver up her spine, looked less like the Aplans and more like eroded rock with all specific details made into them have been lost over time and left no hints to what it was. Moving the torch in front of her, she gets a better look at the large, open cavern in front of them.

"Wow," she breathes out.

"Do we have a gravity globe?" The Doctor looks around at the soldiers.

Octavian snaps his fingers. "Grav globe."

Across the two, the Doctor watched bemused as he saw Aino scrunch her face up (she held back a remark, something he noted). Swinging down her pack, she grabs a glowing white sphere, handing it to Octavian, who then gave it to the Doctor.

He gave a smile to her. "Thank you." She made a series of mumbled words in response- the end sounding similar to 'you owe me.'

"Where are we?" Amy looks around at the statues and the large chamber in front of them. "What is this?"

"A maze of the dead," answered Charlotte, wiggling her eyebrows to make it seem less like a horror film.

"And that's..."