21 | Not Sorry Ms. V

Nina put a few fries in her mouth at one time and took a sip from her large strawberry lemonade once she swallowed it, keeping her eyes on Samir who sat across from her while his attention was focused entirely on his phone where The Boondocks was ...

Nina put a few fries in her mouth at one time and took a sip from her large strawberry lemonade once she swallowed it, keeping her eyes on Samir who sat across from her while his attention was focused entirely on his phone where The Boondocks was playing.

There was clearly something wrong with him because there was a deep frown—a pout damn near—on his face and he constantly pulled at one of the blonde dreads underneath his black Louis Vuitton beanie. He hadn't said anything and he wasn't eating his food either.

"What's wrong Mir?" Nina finally asked since he wasn't going to tell her on his own.

"Nothing." He mumbled. She reached across the table to tilt his head up to make him look at her, furrowing her eyebrows in a slightly stern expression.

"What's wrong?" She asked again.

"I can't eat my food because there's salt on my fries and stuff on my burger." He signed to her, keeping his eyes on his phone although his head was now tilted upward.

Nina opened the wrapper that held his burger and pulled the top bun off, seeing that there was cheese and ketchup on it. She wrapped the burger back up and put it on the tray that held his fries, then she got up from the booth and headed to the front counter.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I asked for this burger to be plain and no salt on the fries.." Nina politely slid the tray on the counter towards the employee.

"No problem, I'll get that fixed for you. Sorry about that." The middle aged white woman took the burger and carton off fries off of the tray and walked towards the area where they made sandwiches.

Just to be on the safe side, Nina moved over a few feet so that she could be able to see the woman remake the food. She watched the lady pull the two slices of cheese off of the patty and wipe away the ketchup with her glove, then she removed it and exchanged it for a new one without washing her hands.

"Excuse me, ma'am, that's not what I meant. I want the burger completely remade—just the meat and pretzel bun, and fresh fries with no salt. Please and thank you." The use of her manners was very obviously snarky and sarcastic.

She didn't want to be a 'Karen' but that was just ridiculous. There was still a bunch of melted cheese stuck to the patty and remnants of ketchup lingered on the bun as well, and the lady still tried to wrap it back up to give to her. She could've did that herself.

"Of course." The lady's smile was just as sarcastic as Nina's tone, but she clearly knew better because she did what Nina said and remade everything the correct way.

Nina thanked her when she was given a new tray, then she walked back over to the booth where Samir was and put it down in front of him, along with some ketchup packets for his fries.

"Thank you ma." Samir said once she sat down, and she leaned over the table to kiss his cheek.

His social anxiety wouldn't allow him to confront the employee about his food being wrong, and he was glad that Nina did it on her own without him having to ask or explain why he was uncomfortable with doing so. His sister did the same thing for him because talking to strangers genuinely made him want to vomit.