Chapter 14 - The Weight Of Punishment

Chapter 14 – The Weight Of Punishment

Kaylee remained silent in the line, waiting as John opened the doors to allow the attendants inside to have their breakfast. The line moved forward, and Kaylee gave Evan a sideways glance. He returned it discreetly, before moving ahead in the queue towards his assigned seat. Kaylee followed closely as the attendants all took their places at the tables, with plates of food already placed in front of them. She was aware of John's eyes as they followed Evan, and Matthew's as they stayed glued to her. When everyone was seated and all was silent again, Hale got to his feet.

"I'm certain everybody is aware of the incident that occurred recently, with two of our attendants," he spoke clearly, so that the entire hall could hear him, "They irresponsibly endangered their own lives, and the lives of the managers that were sent to retrieve them."

Suddenly, all eyes in the hall were on Evan and Kaylee. She tried to ignore them, staring blankly ahead. Even Judie was looking. The young girl hadn't said a word to Kaylee all morning, her stony silence was all the message Kaylee needed. Somehow, that hurt more than if she had yelled.

"Nevertheless, Camp Driftwood was built on the principles of forgiveness. We see that these attendants have made mistakes, and are willing to accept penance for their reckless actions. To help them through these trying times, I would take this moment to ask that we all partake in prayer to aid these troubled children."

Prayer? This was their punishment?

"The Lord of the Heaven is one of steadfast courage, and conviction," Hale began.

"He sees all, and judges the sins of man," the rest of the hall replied.

"None are without sin," Hale continued, "But we may repent with devotion to our Lord."

"The Lord of Heaven," the voices chorused.

"We beg our Lord of Heaven, save us from the time of judgement."

"The time of ashes and desolation," a hundred children said in one hushed whisper.

"We will rise from our mortality, and ascend above the ashes."

"Ascendancy will set us free."

The room fell silent as Hale looked down at the attendants, a humourless smile crossing his face.

"Our wayward sheep will be assigned their punishment after breakfast," he said, "The camp will join them in a display of forgiveness and understanding. But please, for now, enjoy your meals."

He took a seat again, picking up his fork and beginning on the plate laid out in front of him.

"You sure about this?" Evan asked, heaping up a fork with mashed potatoes as John and Matthew watched them closely.

"Yeah," she replied, "We don't have a choice. If they suspect something's up, we'll never get out. Do you trust me?"

"Yes."

"Then eat."

Kaylee impaled one of the steamed carrots on her fork, swallowing nervously before taking a bite. From up at the head table, Hale's smile widened.

  ---  

"Laura," Henry Buscador called, knocking sharply on the doorframe, "Laura, I know where to go. I'll be gone for a while."

There was no reply. Henry could hear no movement in the house, not even a hint of activity.