67. TRICK OR TRUTH?

TRICK OR TRUTH?

Strong arms were quickly on Riley, trying to get a hold of the knife he clutched firmly in his hand.

"Riley, it's me let go!" a familiar voice pleaded.

A moment later the light went on, revealing the scene developing by the door.

"What's going on?" Alice's sleepy voice asked as she took in Riley holding a knife against Gabriel's throat while Agent Smith grabbed his arms in an attempt at overpowering him.

The three men stopped their fight and looked at Alice with momentary surprise, like three blinded deer, then Riley finally opened his fingers, letting go of the knife that fell safely in Smith's hands.

"I'm so sorry," Riley apologised wide-eyed as Gabriel instinctively moved to a safe distance from him, rubbing his neck. "I thought someone was breaking in. I thought you were sleeping," Riley explained, realising how disarmingly on edge he was.

Gabriel looked at him, studying his shameful expression, then shook his head slightly, "It's alright, mate, honest mistake." And offered his hand that Riley shook with gratitude.

"Can someone tell me what's going on?" Alice prompted again, almost stomping her foot like a child.

"I should be the one asking that question," Smith cut in. "I take one day of leave and when I come back my safe house had burnt to the ground, my officers are missing, people at work are questioning my whereabouts, and this bloke— he gestured towards Gabriel— practically ambushed me in my car."

"Why were you on leave?" Alice asked at the same time as Riley turned to Gabriel.

"Why didn't you tell us you'd found Smith?"

There was a momentary silence that Gabriel eventually broke, speaking first.

"When I got the call you two lovebirds were doing I don't wanna know what in my bathroom," he replied causing Smith to shoot a scornful look at Alice and Riley, who, in return, glanced back at Gabriel with an almost killer glare.

The man held his hands high in defence. "What? I didn't think it was a secret!" he protested. "A blind man could see you're doing the dirty," he added. "No offence," he said then looking at Smith.

"None taken," the man replied. "Apparently there's a lot these two are doing behind my back."

"I'll put on some tea," Alice declared, leaving Riley to take the rest of Smith's disapproving looks.

"So, can any of you start talking please?" the agent urged.

"Gabriel didn't bring you up to speed?" Alice asked, filling the kettle.

"This is not my mission," her friend replied. "I just told him I knew where you guys were and convinced him to follow me." He removed the leather jacket he was still wearing and hung it to the door. "And if you'll excuse me, I'll retire to my boudoir now and give you all some privacy. I'm confident you won't try to slay me again, correct?" he added, smirking at Riley, who nodded with a nervous smile. He was grateful the man could see the funny side of it.

As soon as Gabriel disappeared behind his bedroom door, the two remaining men took a seat at the dining table.

"So?" Smith urged again, his patience evidently running thin.

"Where were you?" Riley questioned, his arms crossed on his chest and his chin high.

Smith's eyes widened in surprise at Riley's tone yet, he leaned against the back of his chair, studying the man at the other end of the table. "Are you interrogating me?"