59. THE TIE THAT BINDS

THE TIE THAT BINDS

On Sunday evening Riley entered the safe house, excited to share the news that the money had been successfully transferred. The weapons were now on their way to Newark's port, ready to be shipped across the Atlantic, concealed in a container filled with car parts.

"I take it the past few meetings went well," Agent Smith said from the sofa, studying Riley's satisfied expression as he crossed the living room.

"I do have quite a lot to report," Riley replied, pleased with the new turn of events.

"Oh, you know I love a good gossip," the agent commented with a smirk and a shine in his eyes.

"It's not all good news though," Riley said, still unable to shake his good mood, and neither was Smith.

"It never is, but I'm sure we can work it out," he offered, his kind smile still evident on his face.

"Aren't you two cute, grinning like teenagers," Alice said, walking into the flat and joining the men into the living area.

"Apparently Riley has some tea to spill," Smith replied, standing to kiss Alice on the cheek; the woman reciprocated the greeting then removed her coat, throwing it on the sofa.

That's when Smith's smile disappeared and Riley's with his.

Alice was sporting a black tartan woollen skirt with a white lacy shirt. Around its frilly collar, tied in a fancy knot, was Smith's silver tie.

The agent stopped in his tracks, momentarily speechless as realization sunk in, a bewildered look on his face.

"It was you in my house!" he bellowed, and took an instinctive step back from the woman.

Alice kept silent as she wrapped the tie around her fingers, her eyes growing hot.

"Alice, this is..."

"Your sons look a lot like you," she said nonchalantly, but her words carried a subtle threat that prevented Smith from finishing his sentence.

Riley couldn't do anything except silently observe the two, Alice's eyes impassible and Smith's worried and incredulous.

He'd thought Alice breaking into Smith's house was only a petty gesture after their fight, destined to die as it had happened. But now he fully understood the deeper implications of her doing; the man had crossed her, 'displeased' her, and Alice wanted to prove that his actions had consequences. And Riley was a part of it.

He slumped on the sofa, rubbing his face, thinking how once again the woman had lured him into one of her schemes; as he opened his mouth to come clean about his complicity, Smith spoke again.

"You crossed the line, Alice," the agent said eventually, his tone hard like his eyes. "You know my family is off-limits, I would never forgive you if you hurt them."

Alice took a step closer to the man as she removed the tie from her neck and wrapped it around Smith's, working on the knot as she talked. "We've known each other for so long," she said calmly. "It's important to keep the spark alive otherwise we would end up losing the respect we have for each other." And she patted his chest as she finished a perfect Windsor knot.

Smith's lips twitched to the side, his eyes still heavy on Alice, who didn't falter but her expression softened.

"You know you're like a father to me." She pouted. "I'm sorry," she said eventually, her eyes downcast.

Smith took her hands and squeezed them gently before letting them fall to her side. The anger in his eyes starting to dissipate.

"If you hurt them or even get close to them," he started, but his tone was gentler now. "I will make sure you never see me again."