25. ABSOLEM

ABSOLEM

"Don't stand there like a lamppost, we have a lot to talk about."

At those words Riley finally snapped out of his shock and walked inside the flat, closing the door behind him.

"Are you British?" was all he managed as incredulity resonated in his voice.

"Why do men always manage to ask the least relevant question?" Alice pondered with genuine interest.

"You're the MI6 operative," Riley stated, repressing the need to rub his eyes to make sure he wasn't having visions.

"So observant. The country is finally safe!" Alice teased with sarcasm and her arms crossed in front of her chest.

She was in the blue evening gown that still looked impeccable like her hair and makeup.

A waterfall of questions poured over Riley's mind as he frantically worked to discern the truly important ones.

How have I been so blind?

"Does Aidan know you're here? That you're...you?" Riley asked, unable to get to terms with reality.

"No, he doesn't know who I am. And tonight he had one too many to notice I'm gone," she explained. Then the corner of her mouth lifted slightly. "Maybe a spiked one too many."

She's drugged Aidan? Is he OK? Is this in connection with his cousin? Also, how on earth did she get here before me?

"Riley, I know you must have so many questions buzzing through your head..." Alice eventually said as her look became more gentle. "But I need you to keep your focus because this meeting is very important."

Riley took a deep breath, ignoring the mix of feelings that was washing over his brain and let his practical self take over. "Let's get to it," he nodded, passing his fingers through his hair as a calming gesture.

At that, Alice walked to the sofa and motioned Riley to follow her. As he moved, he finally took in the entirety of the surrounding space.

It looked like a two-bedroom flat. All the doors were closed except the one that gave to what Riley presumed was the kitchen. The living room, where they were standing, was spacious and newly decorated with marble floors and grey walls. A tall window let the city lights shine through thin white curtains pulled closed for privacy. In front of the window were two black sofas facing each other and separated by a brass coffee table. A glass dining table with modern black chairs and a wall-sized bookshelf with a large flat TV decorated the rest of the room.

As Riley sat, Alice opened the curtains to allow some more light to illuminate the otherwise dimly lit room, then she went back and settled herself on the sofa opposite him.

"I'm an MI6 Intelligence Officer," Alice began. "I'm actively working on Operation Shamrock and I'm here to recruit you as my agent. As such, you will gather information for me and report anything you learn."

Riley looked at the shadows dancing around her face as she spoke.

He was still getting used to her English accent, posh and polished with the slightest northern, maybe Yorkshire twang here and there.

"An intelligence officer," he repeated. "So you're like a spy?"

Riley swore he could see an eye roll when she said, "Yes, I'm a spy."

Riley was quiet for a moment before his next question left his lips.

"Information about what?"