48. E

E

It was ten in the evening on New Year's Eve and Riley sat at a table for two in the rooftop cocktail bar of his hotel in Manhattan. The 360 degree glass wall allowed for a breathtaking view of the island alight in the night sky in all its shades of yellow and white.

Riley found himself lost in a stare as his mind wandered to the crazy month that had led to the meeting he'd attended that day and the success of his mission.

Now it was time to celebrate.

"Hey stranger, is this seat taken?" Alice's velvety voice woke him from his daydream and when he turned to look at her, his eyes brightened.

Alice was in a pair of high waist silver palazzo trousers made of small, thin sequins that gave the piece a wet effect. A pair of suspenders of the same colour and material embellished a black, sleeveless bustier with a deep v neck and her boots were purple leather with a five-inch metal heel. Her hair was styled in two thick, messy plaits that let exposed her neck, decorated by a thin black choker from which a silver letter dangled.

Not and A this time, but an E.

"You look amazing," Riley said when he found himself staring longer than necessary.

But Alice's eyes were also on him, shamelessly taking in every inch of his tall figure in a pair of stylish black suit trousers paired with a fitted dark grey t-shirt and Converse.

He had even combed his hair with a real brush.

"You're really striking," she stated, taking her seat at the table.

"I should tell my mother someone agrees with her," Riley joked causing Alice to chuckle.

"Modesty doesn't go with your outfit, Riley," Alice declared as she studied the drink menu. She scanned it briefly then stopped a waiter passing by, placing an order for both herself and Riley, without bothering asking for the man's preference. But Riley didn't care.

"What have you been up to these days?" he asked when the waiter left.

Alice leaned on the table, her lips pouting. "Oh, you know, this and that," she said checking her perfectly manicured black nails, then looked up at Riley. "I've missed you," she admitted.

Riley's heart skipped just one bit, but he played it cool.

"I think Alice is a much better liar then you are, E," he said, hinting at her necklace.

The woman leaned back against her chair without breaking eye contact. Her fingers searched for the little dangling letter and toyed with it for a moment.

"I finished your book," she said, and her eyes filled with the same fiendish heat they had in the picture she'd sent him.

"I'm glad you liked it," Riley replied, truthfully.

The waiter arrived and deposited their cocktails on the table, bowing his head slightly before leaving again.

"To us," Alice cheered, lifting her glass and Riley met it with his.

"To us," he repeated before digging into his drink.

The alcohol was strong, but the cocktail was tasty, with hues of cherries and dry vermouth.

"This is a lovely bar," Alice said casually, looking around the crowded place, and Riley wondered if it met her standards for people-watching.

"It is," he agreed. "The drinks are great and the view is amazing," he added, letting his eyes land on Alice on the second part.