74. CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

His meeting with Agent Smith had run longer than expected, so Caroline's house was already buzzing with people when Riley joined the party, forty minutes late.

A man in a white suit and black bowtie opened the door and took Riley's coat, greeting him inside the big house where the many guests were now enjoying expensive wine and fancy food.

In the living area, another man in white was pouring and shaking alcoholic drinks behind the counter of a dry bar. On the opposite side of the room, a lounge area with two sofas and a small table gave the guests a place to sit and enjoy a more intimate conversation. The lights were mellow and soft jazz was playing in the background while waitresses and waiters in white circulated around the room to ensure a constant flow of tiny food and bubbles.

As Riley stepped into the living room, he was immediately approached by one of the boys in white offering champagne from a silver tray; Riley took the flute, thanking the young man with a nod, and continued inside the room, looking for a recognizable face.

He passed black tux after black tux that made him stand out in his navy suit, but couldn't spot any of the people he was looking for, so gulping the last of his champagne, he stepped into the garden.

A sea of fairy lights illuminated the big green space and, like a gleaming wall, it outlined the perimeter of a dark wooden floor that covered the muddy grass. White, padded outdoor furniture strategically placed next to propane heaters gave the guests, wishing to sit outside, respite from the cold January. A handful of tall, round tables allowed for standing conversations on the go while enjoying some of the finger food from a buffet Riley was yet to discover.

The man scanned the garden where more black tuxes and cocktail dresses laughed demurely at some boring joke and eventually spotted Caroline, Alice and his cousin at the far end of the floor; he made his way to the small group, observing the trio busy in what looked like an amicable conversation.

That looks surreal and creepy.

Caroline was in a dark green dress with a halter neck and a draped skirt that perfectly hugged her slim figure, making her hips look softer and rounder. A silver shawl covered her shoulders for warmth and her hair was up in an elegant French twist.

On the opposite side of black-tux-Aidan, Alice looked smokin in red. The thick, tailored fabric of her mono sleeve jumpsuit followed her curves like a glove, the vertical seams on her bodice, made her body look like an hourglass. A big, soft rouge embellished her left side from her shoulder down to her upper thigh, adding movement to the otherwise simple piece. Her hair was in a soft updo and a big, shining diamond bracelet made her sparkle under the light.

"Riley, I'm so glad you could make it." Caroline beamed as soon as she saw him approaching.

"Thanks for the invite, the party looks amazing," Riley replied, with a kind smile.

"How are you, mate?" Aidan greeted him with a friendly pat on the shoulder.

"It's nice to see you, sweetie." Alice pulled him in a quick hug, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"So, Riley, how have you been?" Caroline started, probably in an attempt at small talk.

"I've been great, thanks," Riley replied, shifting all his attention from Alice to the other woman. "I hope you are doing well."

"Yes, I am doing fantastic, thank you." Caroline's hand landed on Riley's shoulder then her eyes shifted on his shirt, "Oh, I love your tie," she purred, taking the silk, maroon fabric between her fingers and stroking it with her thumb. "It's a beautiful colour."