[ e l e v e n ]

e l e v e n
c h e c k m a t e

"IF YOU WANT TO CONTROL YOUR POWERS, YOU HAVE TO KNOW THEM FIRST," explained her dad as he moved his Queen

They were playing chess in the middle of the basement, surrounded by papers, guns, weapons and other things.

It was a mess, yet she was only focused on the game.

"You can hear, smell, and sense differently from humans. That what makes you different from the Argents and other hunter families," continued her dad as she moved her knight. "It's easier for us... because we see everything wolves see... but we aren't them."

"That's why the full moon doesn't affect us?" She asked and he nodded. "Why does wolfsbane affects us if we aren't wolves?"

"Wolfsbane is a street name. It's better known as Aconite. It's a poison for all supernatural creatures, such is mistletoe." The girl raised her eyebrows. "We are supernatural, but we cannot be bitten. It's by legacy, it's by genes. Remember when you were little, you would hurt your knee and then it'd heal perfectly fine the next day?" Amelia nodded. "Those were raw powers."

"But Lizzie couldn't do that. When she broke her arm, it didn't heal," remembered Amelia.

"You are different, Amelia..." He moved his queen, killing her knight. "Since you were little, your powers have... been developing. Normally, they don't appear until you are around sixteen. Your sister still doesn't have hers, and that's why she's in training. You, on the other hand, you have talent. You were born for it. You didn't have to master it... you already knew it."

"So... if I'm different," she said, "can I think different from you?"

"What do you mean?"

The girl moved her queen up to be in front of his dad king, and the man noticed what she did. She sacrificed her knight and her dad believed it.

"I don't know, just saying. Checkmate," she announced before grabbing her bag and standing up. "Gotta get to class. Love you."

She left the basement in a hurry, regretting what just happened. Now her father was going to be suspicious, and she didn't want that.

• • •

Amelia saw as Scott sat down behind Stiles. The girl dropped her bag on the floor next to her, interested in seeing how this would turn out.

"Still not talking to me?" Asked Scott to his best friend as he kept ignoring him. "Can you at least tell me if your dad's okay? I mean, it's just a bruise, right? Some soft tissue damage? Nothing that big?"

Stiles's dad was hurt the night of the parent/teacher conference as a mountain lion was on school grounds. And Scott wasn't returning Stiles calls that night.

The girl decided to look down at her books. It was better not to get into this conversation.

"You know I feel bad about it, right?" Stiles was still not talking to him. It surprised the girl. She'd known him for most of her life and she hasn't seen them not talking to each other for this long. "Would you tell him to talk to me?"