Chapter 6

Rigaldo takes Natania's hand in his and gently bites the meaty part of her palm, doing the same to himself before joining their hands.

"By blood we seal this bargain," they recite together.

Rigaldo starts his portion first. "I swear the safe travel of you and yours, without the interference of myself or my pack, away from this place, beginning on tomorrow's eve until the day you return."

Natania finds no fault with his wording and nods. "I swear that I will return to the pack," Rigaldo shakes his head and the magic burns her palm. Natania starts again. "I swear that I will return to you, as quickly as is reasonable, after my business with this human has completed." The magic burns her hand again and Natania gives Rigaldo a questioning look.

"Without making any additional bargains, or delaying or extending your business with the human, without intentionally causing harm to yourself," he says," You will complete your task, and come straight home as soon as you are well enough to travel. Should you become injured you may rest and heal," he explains.

Natania grimaces at the thoroughness of his wording but complies. "I swear that I will return to you, as quickly as is reasonable, after my business with this human has completed, without making any additional bargains, or otherwise delaying or extending our business and without causing intentional harm to myself. I will complete my task and come straight home as soon as I am well enough to travel."

Rigaldo nods and the magic burns between them, sending shooting pain up her arm. She feels it sink into her skin, into her heart, so that it may ensure the bargain is completed, even upon her death.

It takes a moment for the feeling to pass. Natania wiggles her fingers to get rid of the last of the tingles. "I will send someone to collect your vehicle, if you would provide your keys," Rigaldo offers.

Gretchen glances at Natania, who nods, and fishes her keys out of her pocket. Two of the wolves step forward, take the keys and run off in the direction they'd come. Gretchen watches them go with a frown. "Don't they need a description? Or location?"

"They know where it is," Rigaldo says. "Come along now." He wraps one arm around Natania and guides her forward.

"Branson, take the human to your place and set her up for the night," he glances at Natania, "I assume you would trust him to care for your friend?"

Panic strikes her at the thought of being alone with him, but she has little choice in the matter. "Of course," she replies.

Gretchen frowns but follows the boy when he waves her onward.

Rigaldo drops to the ground a wolf and nips at Natania's heels. Run with me.

Natania nods and the sandy brown wolf takes her place. She shakes out her pelt, eager to stretch her muscles after being cooped in the car for so long. She takes off at a sprint and hears Rigaldo's feet sliding on the earth as he races to catch up to her.

Natania slows when the cabins come into view. She sniffs the air, but there appear to be many scents missing.

She yelps when a heavy form bowls her over and Rigaldo pins her to the ground. His silver snout trails over her body. She shifts uncomfortably, earning a snarl from Rigaldo and holds herself very still, the familiar fear making her heart pound. Memories of twisted paws, ripped skin and bones shattered so heavily even releasing herself to the demon couldn't speed up the healing, flash in her head.

He traps her nose between his teeth, chiding, then nuzzles along her throat, stopping at the pulse under her fur. Natania tilts her head slightly, submitting, and his chest rumbles with satisfaction.