Chapter 21

The entire pack seems to be waiting as Gretchen pulls into the mountain driveway. Without a word, a dark skinned man in a doctor's coat pulls open the passenger door and checks over Natania.

"Hoo boy," he says. "What happened?"

Rigaldo shoves his way to the front of the group and stares at his mate in horror as Gretchen recounts the events of the last day, leaving out her part in it.

"How could you let this happen?" Rigaldo roars, leaning over Gretchen.

"Sir, you must calm down," the doctor says, stepping between them and pushing his alpha back a few steps. He sniffs and frowns at Gretchen before turning back to his patient.

"Take her, carefully, back to my cabin."

A couple of the wolves step forward but Rigaldo snarls at them and picks her up himself. He curls around her protectively and the wolves part to let him pass.

"I'm Rolf," the doctor says, indicating for Gretchen to follow.

"Do you think she will live?" Gretchen asks.

He doesn't look hopeful. "I will do my best. She is strong, but she has to want to live." He lowers his voice. "I heard about her bargain with Rig, she may not want to wake up."

Gretchen shakes her head. She would never forgive herself if Natania died because of her. "She has to."

Rolf smiles sadly.

Rigaldo lays Natania down on a white hospital bed. Hovering over her until Rolf snaps at him to give him space. Rig snarls with rage, grabbing his collar and slamming the doctor into the wall.

"Do you want her to die?" Rolf spits, shoving at his alpha's hands.

"Of course not," Rigaldo hisses.

"Then. Put. Me. Down." Rolf says each word slowly, but filled with command.

Rigaldo snarls but lets him down. "I'm sorry, but I don't have time to play dominance games when someone is dying in front of me," Rolf says as he gets back to work.

"Will she die?" Rigaldo paces back and forth, worry leaking off of him in waves.

Rolf sighs. "I don't know. Please go pacify the pack. I need space to work."

Rigaldo glances at Gretchen and narrows his eyes. "I need her to stay," Rolf says before Rigaldo can speak. "I need her to answer questions."

"Fine," Rigaldo spits and slams the door on his way out.

"He is protective, but also an ass," Rolf says with a laugh. He pauses and looks at Gretchen. "You are a witch."

Gretchen frowns. "I don't know. I've never felt magical powers or been able to cast spells or anything."

"You smell like one, subtly but it's there. You didn't know?"

"No," Gretchen breathes.

"Then care to tell me why Natania is bound to you by magic?"

"What?"

Rolf frowns, staring at her appraisingly. "How can you not know?'

"I have no idea what you're talking about, I swear," Gretchen insists. Bound by magic?

"She is loyal to you, does whatever you ask? Protects you with her life for no apparent reason?"

Gretchen blinks. "I thought she was just protective because she had...feelings for me."

Rolf shakes his head. "Bonds like that can feel like love. They are not. Just blind devotion."

Gretchen doesn't know what to say. Has everything Natanias done been against her will?