Chapter 23

"Whatever you choose to do, you need a pack Natania," Rolf says while he gently removes the bandages so he can apply fresh ones.

Natania raises an eyebrow. "And where will I find one of those?" Her voice is still raspy and she coughs. She had only shifted to human a few hours ago, so Rolf could monitor the healing on her human skin as well, but the shift had reopened wounds that were now bleeding freely.

"Why does she need a pack?" Gretchen asks at the same time.

Rolf glances between them. "You will have to take some of the wolves here. You need a pack to share the burden of your demon. It's gotten too strong for you to cope alone."

"I won't condone any wolves to my inevitable insanity. And Rig won't let them go anyway." Natania winces as he peels more soaked bandages off her damaged skin. Her human body doesn't look as bad as her wolf form, not having the large patches of missing fur, but she was still in pain.

Rolf sighs. "If you have a pack you won't go insane girl. Just four or five will do. Rig doesn't get to decide if they leave. Only if they may stay."

"No one will want to."

"You have family here still," he snaps, slapping a fresh dressing on with more force than necessary.

Natania growls. "I won't ask them to abandon pack life." She shudders as another coughing fit racks her body.

"Sara is an Omega. I don't think she will mind," Rolf growls back at her.

"She won't leave Branson," Natania insists.

"Stop arguing with your doctor, you stupid girl," Rolf says with mock exasperation. "Branson will go, because he no longer trusts Rigaldo, and Sara will leave because she loves you and him, more than she cares about being Omega in a pack."

"That's still only two," Natania grumbles. "Nadine is too young, and Thomas is human."

"Then I guess you will have to see if you have any friends left. Ask Sara, she will know the wolves that are discontent in this pack." Rolf wraps the final bandages and fixes her with a heavy stare. "I will bring her. Now, this time, do not leave this fucking bed," he says with a snarl.

Natania rolls her eyes but nods once. "Yes, doctor," she mutters.

Rolf narrows his eyes. "I mean it. I don't care if Rig comes to take a bite out of your witch. I don't care if the gods above come and order you out. I don't even care if a tiny bleeding child comes screaming for help. You sit your ass there and don't move. Let someone else handle it." Rolf holds her gaze until Natania dips her head submissively.

Once he's gone, Gretchen says, "you made it sound like he was a nice guy."

Natania snorts. "He is, but he takes his patients very seriously."

"He doesn't like me much," Gretchen remarks.

Natania reaches out, and Gretchen takes her outstretched hand. "Wolves don't trust witches, and you didn't exactly make a good first impression," Natania says with a smile.

Gretchen shudders. "I will never be able to apologize enough for this."

"You didn't mean for this to happen," is all Natania says.

Gretchen shakes her head. "How can you be so calm and forgiving? Have you seen yourself?

Natania rolls onto her side so she's facing Gretchen. "What do you want me to do? Kick you out? After almost dying to protect you? So this can all have been for nothing? What's done is done. I'm angry you didn't tell me, but we can't change the past. And I love you, more than I'm angry to be left in the dark. Though I am curious, what happened in the Hall of Fates to give you this idea?"