Chapter 11

"Come along then." Natania follows Stefan as he leads her through his warehouse. The ground is cold on her paws, but it's the smell that really holds her attention, like a meadow of poisoned flowers, enticing and revolting at the same time. The magic that leaks from the human is lesser here than in the office, he doesn't spend much time in the warehouse. Small whimpers sound from a corner of the building and Natania holds back a snarl as she remembers he trafficks women. He pops open a side door and Natania flinches as a bullet hits in front of her paws. A test, she assumes as several armed personnel appear from nowhere, their scents blocked by magic.

Natania snarls and leaps forward, knocking Duvall to the ground and grunting as a few shots hit her sides. She swats at the closest person, knocking their legs from under them, and yanks the gun from their hands before shoving them into the next. Spinning around she jumps, snapping her teeth around the top of one of their heads. She doesn't know if he means for her to kill them, and loosens her grip at the last second. The guy screams, Natania knocks the side of his head with her paw as another shot hits her shoulder.

She leaps to the last one, and crushes their gun in her jaws, bashing them in the head with it before sliding to the ground. Natania pants as her body works to push the bullets out of her skin and walks back to Duvall, nudging him up with her nose. "Finish the job," he snaps, shoving her nose away. Natania looks at him confused, those were his own men, she recognizes one of them as the doorman for his office building. "Now!" He repeats when she hesitates.

Natania glances around, conflicted, was he testing her willingness to kill? Or to obey orders without question? Internally shrugging, she stalks over to the first one and crushes their skull in her jaws. One by one, she repeats the process, until the ground is stained with brain matter. Bloodlust roars in her head but she manages to resist the urge to devour the bodies thanks to the repulsing scent of black magic.

Duvall says nothing but nods in approval. He gestures for her to follow and leads the way across the alleyway and down a rotting staircase. She doesn't need an explanation, she can smell the wolf on the other side, as well as the sickness that holds him.

Duvall opens a heavy metal door, ushering her inside. There's a long line of empty cells as he leads her down a hallway. They haven't gone far when he stops in front of the only occupied cell. A massive wolf stares at him from the other side of the bars and Natania flinches at the sight of it. "This is Fergus," Stefan says, and waves him closer. The wolf, Fergus, walks closer at the gesture and Natania can see the mats lining his grey pelt. His eyes are crazed and a line of drool hangs from one side of his muzzle. When the wolf sees Natania he loses it, snapping and snarling at the bars.

"He's a little unstable," Stefan says, nonchalant, "as you can see, which is why we keep him down here, but he's obedient. Fergus enough!" The wolf immediately calms. Stefan glances down at Natania, "there's nothing to fear, even he can't break these bars." Stefan taps his fingers, "he didn't used to be like this, but we're working on a way to fix him, though it is taking more time than I'd like. I think you might be able to help him. Stay down here for a bit, he won't hurt you. The presence of another wolf should help him. I'll send someone for you when your shift is up."

Natania glances between the two of them, that wasn't exactly what she signed up for. "Problem?" Duvall asks.

Natania opens her mouth then closes it, slowly shakes her head. "Good." Without another word he returns the way they came, leaving Natania alone with a stark mad wolf.

What did they do to you? Natania sniffs at the wolf but he just stares at her. She knows however. Black magic eats you, sometimes slowly, like flies on a corpse, but other times...

She pokes at his mind, baring her teeth with disgust, he doesn't even feel like a wolf anymore. His mind is in turmoil. She doesn't understand why Duvall would show her this, unless he genuinely thought her presence would help. Natania walks as close to the bars as she can and lightly touches a paw to his muzzle. He bares his teeth but makes no sound. Natania continues rummaging through his mind, trying to find anything coherent but all she feels is deep darkness.