Chapter 7

"So where are we going?" Gretchen asks as they exit the lush forest of the mountains. She wants to ask about everything she's seen and about her pack, but knows her companion isn't up for that at the moment.

Natania has barely spoken since they got in the car and it takes a few tries before Gretchen can get her attention.

"Natania?"

The girl blinks at her and a sharp shudder runs through her before she responds. "I need a shower."

"I can do that," Gretchen agrees. "We'll stop at the nearest hotel."

"And you need to sleep." Natania leans back in her seat and sighs, watching the trees fly by until they're steadily replaced with houses. Gretchen pulls into a ranch style building with a lit up "Motel" sign out front.

"This'll do, wait here." Gretchen climbs out of the car, nabs her purse, thankful that the wolves had left everything where they were, and walks off to the room labeled "Lobby", returning a few minutes later with a ratty old key. "Come on, little wolf, let's get you cleaned up." She grabs the emergency bags from the back and slings them over a shoulder, leading the way to their room.

It isn't a bad room, the single double bed has simple green bedding, the carpet is intact, if a little stained. There's a small kitchenette in one corner with a full bathroom across the way. Gretchen drops the bags on the counter of the kitchenette and Natania stalks into the shower, not even bothering to shed her clothes before curling up under the steady stream of boiling water.

She uses half the room's supply of soaps, scrubbing away at her skin until it is pink and raw to the touch, then stays under the water long after it goes cold. Letting it wash the stains of tears from her face.

"Natania?" Gretchen knocks on the door and tentatively pushes it open. "Are you okay? You've been in here for almost an hour."

Natania looks at her and blinks, icy water streaming down her face. "Oh."

The human grabs a towel off the wall and shuts off the water, wrapping the fabric around her shoulders. "It's freezing in here. You're going to get sick."

"I'll be fine." Natania stands up, shaking water from her hair, and peels off her wet clothes.

Gretchen wraps a fresh towel around her shoulders once she is undressed and cups her chin, careful to avoid the bruises. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm all right." If she hadn't still been weak from two blood draws and the drugs, the bruises would have healed by now. Natania leans forward so their foreheads touch, asking for her touch.

Gretchen kisses her softly, wipes the fresh tears from her cheeks and tucks her hair into another towel before exiting the room.

Natania stares at the door for another five minutes before drying herself off and throwing on an oversized shirt. When she finally leaves the bathroom, Gretchen is already under the covers. The only light in the room is coming from a shaded lamp on a bedside table. Natania crawls underneath the duvet and pokes her head out the other side, keeping the blanket over her head like a shroud.

"I love you," Natania says quietly after a long moment of silence.

Gretchen rubs her eyes and sighs, "I know."

Natania nods to herself, like she's gotten the answer to a question she's had for a while. "Okay."

"Go to sleep, little wolf," Gretchen says, flicking off the lamp and curling protectively around Natania.

Natania tenses and wiggles from her grasp, Gretchen releases her without resistance. She can feel the human's eyes on her as she stares off into space. Natania crawls back under the covers and shifts to her wolf form. She pokes her snout out the end of the blanket then forces her way under one of the human's arms.