3 | Villainy

Tears.

For while the princess, standing by the castle gates with her meager belongings at her feet, wiped her eyes as she wept outwardly, Wyrn cried silently on the inside.

Despite his request of one bushel of apples, he received three. The second mule now accompanied Bluebell who looked smitten. The new mule's cold response resonated with Wyrn as well.

Once one basket of apples landed into the wagon, Wyrn took hold of Bluebell and started for the bridge.

"Oi! Oi! You've got two more."

No. They had two more. Wyrn took what he'd requested and set off. His plan was simple—take the princess as far as he could on the highway and let her run off toward Orm's kingdom. With a new mule, and some apples, she'd eventually arrive.

Taking her to the crossroads was already out of his way. He'd even thought she would not follow him, but one glance back showed her hiding her face while carrying her things in her right hand.

It was already shameful enough walking rather than riding, so Wyrn resolved to slow to allow her to catch up. His plan was to put her things in the wagon but when he stopped, she did as well, a good distance away.

He took that for his imagination but on the second attempt with the same results, he took the hint and turned to be on his way. Now, he no longer cared about the length or speed of his strides. The moment they left the castle walls and stepped onto the cobblestones of the city, the princess stopped moving and instead looked around.

Like a fish stranded on dry land, eyes wide, mouth gaping, she scanned the tall buildings like she'd never left the castle before.

The better part of the afternoon passed before they were on the road. At this rate, she'd be forced to travel at night all alone.

Wyrn concluded, more than once, that it wasn't his business what she did or what became of her.

Finally, they reached the fork in the road and Wyrn looked back. They'd said not a word to one another.

Most of his hair guarded his eyes but he could still see her quite clearly.

"I'll give you money for an inn," Wyrn said gesturing to the building not so far away on the left path.

Rather than answer him, she remained with her head hung.

Wyrn studied her. For a moment, he wondered if she could speak at all. But that was nonsense, she'd spoken to the guards about her father. Perhaps that was a twin, a twin with trouble thinking and he'd been tricked. That would make more sense.

All the more reason he could not go home with this woman. But as he waited, she made no indication she intended to find that inn. Wyrn reached under the covering in the wagon and found his coin pouch. It was a good amount. She'd need only a fraction of it for the inn.

In the end, he decided to give all of it to her. He put it down on the ground and led Bluebell toward the road on the right—the new donkey followed.

The sun all but faded when he reached the hilltop. If he'd ridden the wagon, he would have been nearly there by now. Anticipation of the night drove him to find a lantern under the covering in the wagon and ready his flint.

It was when he'd struck it that he noticed the extra presence.

The princess stood some distance away, her clothes in one hand, but nothing in the other.

Wyrn took her in then cursed under his breath and ran past her. He found the money right where he'd left it. With a sigh of relief, he snatched it up.