15 | Good Use

Everywhere Vadde went, people often leaned into one another and whispered. Her temper wasn't her best feature. And being a princess, she wasn't used to actively seeking out others for company. But when she showed up in the late morning, after properly washing the clothes this time, Wyrn wasn't alone for lunch. Bonn sat with him.

Neither of them really ate.

"What do you think?" Bonn asked.

Wyrn had nothing to say. Today, when he spotted Vadde, he watched her approach in somber contemplation. He had the nerve, with his gaze still on hers, to reach down and pick up some bread.

Heavy basket still in hand, Vadde let out a gasp. She wasn't known for her speed, but she reached them in time to slap that wayward morsel right out of his fingers.

With a slow sigh, Wyrn said, "Ow."

All blood rushed to Vadde's face. "S—sorry." This wifely effort wasn't working. She'd come confident but now she showed the basket and said, "But I made you something."

Though Wyrn stared past her, Bonn was eager to look. "All by yourself?"

It was a small scoff when Wyrn muttered, "Mother probably made it."

Vadde didn't like the tone. "Just the base. I made all the decorations," she declared. "In fact, I'm rather good at it. She even said."

Only Bonn gave her a warm smile as she started to unpack the meal. Vadde came feeling confident, but as Wyrn continued to stare off into the distance, her boldness waned.

"Oh. Well, that's too bad," Bonn said, drawing Wyrn's focus.

The decorations. Nearly all had fallen off. Vadde regretted having run.

She was losing ground fast, so she added, "I did manage to make a few."

"What's this here?" Bonn said, picking up Vadde's personalized muffin. "It's as hard as a rock."

His hearty chuckle that time stole the last of her pride. When he flicked it out into the field and it slammed into a tree, there wasn't much left of her.

There were only two more, thankfully. Vadde hadn't the energy to admit it when he picked yet another up.

Wyrn took it from him. His eyes lingered on the blackened muffin for but a moment before he met Vadde's humiliated gaze. He took a bite and instantly regretted it if the cough was any indication.

"Brother, I don't think that's for eating."

"Let's hold the ceremony then," Wyrn said. "Best to do it while the weather suits."

Bonn's interest shifted from the food Wyrn tried with all his might to chew. Each cough came with him grimacing. He at least reached for the third and final one though.

"All right," Bonn agreed, looking between them. "So, all four of us?"

This time Wyrn choked. Vadde's eyes bugged. Everything in her longed to take that half-eaten muffin from his hand before she inadvertently killed the man. She supposed that was why Aggu insisted on helping with the bulk of the meal.

Vadde finally admitted defeat. "If it's too hard to eat—"

Wyrn shoved the last of it in his mouth and stood. "No."

Who was he talking to? Vadde thought to ask but his brother rose to his feet as well.

"What? But what's the fun in that?" Bonn waited then looked down at Vadde and decided on a new avenue. "Fine. Then I won't."

The answer came with a groan. "Don't be childish. It's a great blessing."

Bonn watched the green grass below their boots then sighed. "You don't think welcoming her is a good idea then?" But he didn't wait for an answer. He just nodded knowingly and walked away before Wyrn had anything to say.