BOOK 2 (Chapter 1)

Title: The Hunchback's Fairy King Problem
Status: Complete

Prince Sorem knew of two truths—women were always in need of rescue, and women were all liars

That was his reason for securing the Jvalan. Though he regretted how he came about this little dark-skinned Fae he carried in a bird cage affixed to his belt, he appreciated it.

Ironically, it was female.

With such a gloomy atmosphere, the castle appeared abandoned. That wasn't the case, he found, though no one looked him in the eye or spoke. The path towards his cousin's chambers held no one.

As he made his way down the empty stone hallways, his heavy boots echoing with each step, he unhooked the Jvalan and held her up.

She was so strange to look at. Most days, she fluttered in a sitting position, legs tucked under her, and eyes closed.

That was her defiance, but no matter, he held her captive, and therefore, she did his every bidding—almost every.

"Illuminate us," he ordered.

Fire shot from her black wings then dulled into an amber glow. She was quite useful.

Pity he'd have to kill her once he was done with her.

Upon reaching the door at the farthest end of the hall, the groans and cries of agony made him come to a stop.

It was worse than he'd feared. Cousin Orm, Prince of Wisen, still suffered these four years.

There'd been stories, terrible ones. Sorem hadn't the heart, or power, to visit. But now, as the Divine Thinkers Order's newest high priest, he could go and come as he saw fit.

It was a prestigious title for a twenty-two-year-old, so Sorem boxed his light brown hair from his eyes and stuck out his chin.

He'd go into this hell chamber, and he'd present the Jvalan to his dear cousin with a promise, to end his suffering.

A gentle push of the door had it creaking open.

Orm's fevered cries dulled.

Turned on his side, he continued to weep.

"Who's there?" he demanded.

Sorem's heart felt heavy, weighed down with the stifled sobs.

"It's me, cousin, Sorem."

But Orm gave him no acknowledgement.

It was perhaps cowardly to inch into the room so slowly but Sorem feared the sight of him. The stories to reach Sorem in his journeys in search of the Jvalan were...less than appealing.

A small whiff told him that the whispers of Orm's incontinence were true.

Still, Sorem persevered. When he came to his cousin's bedside to see the man, dripping with sweat, eyes shut tight as he wept, something came over him. He felt cold.