.23. ғɪғɪᴀsᴀɴᴀ

My heart is pounding tonight, I wonder
If you are too good to be true
And would it be alright if I
Pulled you closer

It was quite immature on Jungkook's part to think so, yet as the words filled his ears and heart, he wished the snippet hadn't been released on Taehyung's Instagram. Thousands were presently listening to it as he was, drinking the nectar of the singer's generous vocals and imagining the lyrics were written for them. And maybe they were. However, Jungkook liked to indulge in a bit of disillusion every now and then.

Against his better judgement, he scrolled through the comments, curious about the public's reaction to the song. That's how he discovered the widespread belief that Taehyung had found himself a girlfriend. Several people referred to his recent Yeontan post where he'd plainly admitted he was missing someone.

He skipped pointless remarks before reaching a heated discussion regarding the recipient of the artist's dedication.

And yeah. Jungkook should have stopped scrolling.

 Jungkook should have stopped scrolling

A chill ran through his veins at the memory of his name being thrown onto social media platform for hungry trolls to feast on.

JJK.

They remembered. And would deny him any right to be forgotten.

Being labelled a whore when he had never even kissed the guy really took the cake. Tossing his phone, he realized his hands were moist and his breathing, out of control, to say nothing of his frantic heartbeat.

Sure, they had been comments supportive of the idea that Taehyung was dating him, but Jungkook found it equally troublesome and problematic that their narrative was just as erroneous. The fact that people would always favour entertainment over truth hit him hard.

He curled up on the floor and cried himself to sleep.

Soft whines woke him a few hours later, as the sun was hiding behind the jagged urban skyline. "I'm so sorry, Fifi," he uttered, rubbing fatigue and sadness out of his eyes. "We'll go out now, before it gets dark."

He made sure to wear a face mask before leaving the apartment. He had experienced first-hand the horror of online threats manifesting before one's eyes and did not wish to attract such destructive attention ever again.

He reached Nanji Park just in time to see the sun set in a glorious performance of amaranthine hues. It was quite beautiful and Jungkook felt grateful for moments such as these. Unleashing Fifi, he watched as she ran around the grass lawn, happy to stretch her legs. Taehyung was the one who had brought her into his life, and for that he was thankful as well. It never occurred to him to blame the idol for his present situation, despite Jimin saying otherwise.

He'd ask Hoseok hyung for some inside news but ever since the end of the promos and concerts, he no longer had opportunities to rub shoulders with the singer.

"I heard he was working on his first full-length album," he'd once admitted. And perhaps that was true. Which would explain the lack of news.

Jungkook's thoughts drifted back to the song he'd listened to earlier. It was a wonder, really, how his mind insisted on converging toward Taehyung, despite Jimin's best efforts to arouse other interests. "Take this time to focus on yourself," he had pleaded. "I know you had your life figured out, but right now, you need to try new ways to make it work."

Be creative.

There are plenty of physical activities beside yoga.

You cook the most delicious ramyeons in town. Maybe look into that!

Jungkook had listened. Somewhat.

He'd bought an acoustic guitar and taught himself some cords. He'd also invested in a pair of hikers and had begun exploring the trails of nearby heights, abundant in northern Seoul. Jimin had found a crossbody sling dog walking purse for him to carry Fifi up the mountains and he couldn't wait for autumn to come around. The leaves made for such colourful sights.

As for his culinary skills, he'd used the free time he had earned since quitting his job to try his hand at cooking some healthy meals for Jimin who had successfully auditioned for a part in the beloved Nutcracker ballet performance and was busy rehearsing for the show scheduled for December.

Speaking of which, Jungkook figured he'd lingered long enough. It was already late and he needed to do some grocery shopping before heading home.

"Fifi!" he called, failing to spot the black-haired bichon in the fading daylight.

She'd usually yap and hurry back to her owner in no time. Which is why Jungkook found it rather alarming that she did not answer his calls.

"FIFI!" he yelled a little louder this time, feet moving quickly across the grass.

yap

The cry was faint. But it was undoubtedly hers.

Jungkook ran toward it, tripping in the dark at the thought that she had hurt herself.

"Fifi! Where are you?"

yap yap

As he got closer to the trees lining the river banks, he recognized a sound he hadn't heard in a long time. A warm, snuggly laugh. Giggles that felt like home.

And if Jungkook could have run any faster, he would have.

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free. One way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡