Chapter 14

"So, Ms. Cano, why didn't you run?" Her interrogator asked while the screen showed her walking calmly toward the danger. Of course, she was filmed by the surveillance cameras.

Sarah examined her surrounding, a cold room with a few cameras, a double-sided glass, and uncomfortable iron chairs. At least she wasn't chained. They were probably interrogating everyone at the same time, though she had an inkling only she was treated to the unfriendly environment.

"I wanted to check if my friends were safe," she answered truthfully.

The red-haired woman's gaze sharpened, while her lips pulled up, "And pray tell me what would you have done if they weren't?"

Sarah stiffened every slightly at the question and that didn't escape the trained eye of the red-head. "I would have tried to save them."

Natasha hummed, skimming through the file in front of her before retorting, "From what I see, you don't have any training in fights, now that raises the question, what could you have actually done in a situation where the opponents have guns and hostages."

Sarah kept her expression under control, bitter at the hypocrisy, "Wrong question, the real question is how did Stark industry manage to let such an event happen and why were there soldiers perfectly placed to appear once the attack ended... almost like it was planned." She smiled with satisfaction, seeing the reaction it elicited from her interrogator.

Natasha raised a brow, coldness seeping from her. "I'm the one asking questions."

"Wrong answer," Sarah commented again, raising from her chair to tower over Natasha, "That is equal to admitting you did do something, next question." This time she lost the superfluous tone and her voice grew sharp, "How were you planning to save all these people?" She calmly walked over the table, keeping her keen gaze on her before swiping the screen to the scene of the accident. "There were approximately 30 people there, these were real glass shards." She checked herself. In her cold fury, she sat on the table right beside Natasha, staring straight at her. "Can you guarantee you could have protected them all? How were you so sure that stupid water would appear?"

Natasha remained silent, keeping her composure, and that irked Sarah. "What was your goal? Once you obtained what you wanted, what would you have done with the 30 lives lost for that grand purpose? Could you have looked those people in the eyes and told them what they lost was justified? No amount of money can turn back what once was." Again silence, Natasha stared at her with deadly calmness. "And here I thought for once, heroes could exist." This time she glanced at the double-stained glass, easily sensing the presences beyond. "If you can't answer my questions, don't even bother and fuck off."

With that she settled back into her chair, her unsettling eyes finally closed. Not interested in the masquerade that was before her, she concentrated on what was beyond the walls, searching. Rooms upon rooms occupied by people, no doubt being asked questions.

With a creak, the door opened and another presence made itself known. "Wow, it's freezing cold in here."

"Stark," Natasha greeted, seemingly asking with her eyes why he was here.

"I heard your conversation," he stated as he stood over Sarah who still held her eyes closed.

Of course, he did, Sarah knew she was being observed closely.

"And I'm here to clear up a few things," he announced, a smug grin on his face.

Finally, Sarah opened her eyes, staring at the genius billionaire, a proud peacock shuffling his feathers in a show of arrogance.

Stark stumbled back a little as her unsettling eyes stared at him. In her eyes, there was death, a black pool of nothingness. He couldn't see his reflection in her eyes, almost like he didn't exist for her.

He masked his uneasiness with his smirk, and with a swipe of his hand, the screen rotated to them and started playing a video.

"Flexible plexiglass, can be deployed in 0,1 seconds, able to withstand up to 70kg, an adult's average weight." He presented its features, showing its deployment in action before concluding, "Everything was under control."

Sarah examined the technology, taking advantage of his willingness to defend their actions to learn how it worked. "Nanoparticles..." she quickly deduced closely analyzing its pattern, it moved fluidly and with an electrical shock, it could harden at will.

"That's correct!" Stark clapped his hands, a bit surprised she knew at a glance.

She remained silent, keeping her eyes on the advanced technology.

"Does that redeem us in your eyes, Ms. Cano?" he asked, a hint of mischievousness in his tone.

"No, I am still very much traumatized by this event," she lied without batting an eyelash, "to use the safety of innocent citizens for your schemes..." She trailed off before shaking her head in disappointment.

Stark's mouth fell open before he burst into laughter, she was truly the epitome of shamelessness—from how she had previously reversed the interrogation to Natasha to how she acted as if she was the owner of the room, nothing could be linked with this pitiful act she was now displaying.

Natasha simply shook her head in disbelief, glancing between Stark and Sarah, she could feel an air of semblance between the two shameless people...

Sarah put on her best innocent look, a broad smile, half-closed eyes, and a defenseless behavior, "Have I done anything that warrants me being interrogated by two of this Nation's idols?"

And she knew how to ruffle his feathers in a good way, Natasha shook her head helplessly seeing Stark's smirk grow wider.

"Of course not, this is just security protocol," Stark placated, raising his hands in the air.

"Stark, if you could," Natasha ordered more than asked while sending a pointed glance at the door.

"Fine, fine, kill-joy," he whined while walking out, not before sending a goodbye wave and a wink at Sarah. He had an inkling it wouldn't be the last time they would see each other.

Once alone with Natasha, she cooperated with the perfunctory questions, giving pieces of information they probably already had. That didn't make them any truer but they didn't need to know she falsified a good 95% of her background.

She didn't know if her obedient answers fooled Natasha as she kept her stone-face but she could only hope and anyway it wasn't like there was anyone to prove she wasn't truly Sarah.

That was unless they could find someone who remembered her as Kanedith, the chances of that happening were as low as finding a treasure in one's garden. Given the absurd nature of the universe, if it truly happened, it could only mean the universe was hell-bent on playing with her.

After a good hour, she was sent back to her apartment for lack of evidence against her.

When she opened her door, she frowned heavily at the traces of people meddling with her apartment. It didn't take a genius to figure out she was under surveillance. Of course, they would riddle her home with cameras with no care for her privacy. As if she would let them, she didn't want to live her life under constant surveillance, as that would severely limit her actions... no more dancing nor playing around with her powers.

Well, there was one solution she could think of, she glanced at her kitchen and more so the hotplate. It wasn't like she cared that much about this apartment, in addition, ever since it had been emptied by burglars, there wasn't much of value left.

Time to cook, she smirked.

________________________

and time for me to eat, I'm hungry!
Hope ya'll are doing fine (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤