Chapter 2

That day, as usual, she was woken up by a shrill alarm at an ungodly hour in the morning. She was sure the bags under her eyes were dark and deep enough to be linked with mascara.

Devouring the 'food' they gave her, she kept her head down. These bastards liked seeing her docile and submissive. So she was. They liked it when she kept quiet. So she did. They liked seeing her obey their every order. So she did. She killed, she tortured, she was experimented on, she trained others. She was the perfect soldier. She had to be.

She hated Kanedith and at the same time felt pity for her. From what she had been told, she was brought here 10 years ago. It was logical for her to want to escape this. But it didn't stop Sarah from harboring resentment toward the one who forced her into this life.

She supposed she should be considered lucky her body remembered the training it went through. She took advantage of the pain the previous host went through to get by. Hydra seemed happy when it noticed she had forgotten everything. Or at least that's what she made them believe. That an experiment pushed too far had wiped her memory. She made use of it to make them believe she was a fervent believer of their sick organization. She acted like a white piece of paper, ready to be stained by their beliefs.

She had to admit, more than once she was tempted to just quit her futile resistance, to just abandon herself and stop trying to be free. It would be so much easier. To just give up. To just let go. To stop thinking and start... just believing. That's what everyone else did. She could see it, their dull eyes, their emotionless faces, their slumped postures when they thought nobody could see. Nobody but her. Maybe it was stupid. Maybe she would never be free. Maybe it was... useless. Maybe she would never win against HYDRA.

The light that kept her going in this dark tunnel, was her foolish and humble desire to listen to music. The music she didn't have access to anymore. She was starting to forget songs she thought she would never forget. These songs weren't even that good, she just wanted to relive them.

She knew in the back of her mind that if HYDRA knew that providing her with music would gain her full obedience, they would provide her with tons of it. But her stubborn and human side wanted to listen to music, free.

She wanted to gain back her banal life. Fall in love with a douche bag, talk about the latest star gossip with her colleagues, be annoyed by over-energetic kids, listen to her sister's whining... She regretted giving her sister the cold shoulder for a week; if fate gave her a chance, she swore she would make it up to her. They were sisters and they didn't have the best of relations, but still, at that moment, she missed that brainless sister of hers.

Her sister, whose face was starting to fade from her memory, she felt old.

She once thought only old people could forget a loved one's face! And here she was, memory only a vague mist. She loathed what their drugs were doing to her, she was forgetting her family, her friends, her whole life. Sometimes, she woke up without knowing who she was. That sense of loss and the feeling of being alone in an unfamiliar and hostile environment... it was slowly killing her. Knowing her memory was fading and not being able to do anything was... the worst punishment for her; watching her life slide like water through her hands.

She felt depressed, a deep-etched sadness she had been trying to suppress.

As usual, her world seemed to be black and white as she walked silently, accompanied by a single emotionless guard, her guards went down from five to one. They were starting to let their guard down, she remarked. It was soon time to put her escape plan in motion.

Avoiding effortlessly the punch thrown her way, she caught the arm with an ease once unfamiliar to her. Swiftly, she broke the child's arm and ignoring his scream of pain, she kneed him in the stomach, making him bend on his knees. Looking down at him, she noticed the glint signaling a hidden knife he was trying to use to injure her and in one fast movement got rid of it. With the side of her hand, she knocked him unconscious. The neck was one fragile spot, she learned the hard way.

Glancing at the supervisor taking notes of her performance, she watched with little to no emotions as the boy's body was dragged to who-knows-where... She didn't want to know. She didn't want to know she possibly helped his training worsen. She didn't want to know why sometimes the kids she beat disappeared forever. What was the point? She was already rotten to the core.

The little emotions she had, had already been beaten out of her. The little pride she had, had already been washed away. She felt dirty. She felt like her body wasn't hers anymore. Nightmares became her usual routine, waking up sweating and a scream bubbling in her throat had become the usual.

_____________________

"Once again!" Closing her eyes to prevent her real thoughts from being too obvious, she clenched her teeth as she received yet another electrical charge. They were trying to make her have another power. As if controlling water wasn't enough. These greedy bastards.

Just one more day, she thought. One more day and she would be free.

The next day, she was thrown back, in tatter in her 'room'. She was that precious; they gave her a specially designed room for her.

It has been, what, 1 month since she last saw the siblings? She didn't know. She didn't have a watch or a calendar. They got transferred to a higher compound. A 'promotion' for them, apparently. She didn't care, she wasn't planning on ever seeing them again.

Closing her eyes, she concentrated on the parasite she put in a certain person's brain. It was starting to settle and act. Finally.

She ignores the sharp pain coming from her wrists and ankles. These shakles weren't going to stop her. This pain was nothing compared to what she would lose if she didn't go now.

Smirking, she blurred the camera with water a short moment as the door opened to her oh-so proud supervisor, though he didn't seem to be as happy as her to see her if the look of hatred he sent her way was any indication... The water condensed to form an exact replica of her, she made it lie on the bed and closing the door, unblurred the camera.